Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Web optimized pdf document

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Web optimized pdf document
    Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 3:31AM
Hi,
we have a application that use gpictureproand isedquickpdf to show pdf documents.
The program is also running on a termserver.
The document will be shown if the user scroll in a table.
The scanned pdf documents are placed central on a server in the network.
Now the questio. Is it possible to create a web optimized pdf.
Or better can I convert a pdf to web optimized pdf?

Regards Dittmar
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 5:57AM
Hi Dittmar!

QuickPDF can tell you if a document is web optimized (linearized) but it can't set this option.

Best regards,
Ingo

ditte View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 6:52AM
Hi Ingo,

do know if is planned for the future?
The loadingtime is to long at the time now.

Regards Dittmar

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 8:05AM
Hi Dittmar!

In this case it's better talking to Marian.
I've made a dll with QuickPDF doing something similar:
Cutting the pdf-document into two parts. The first small one with the index and a few pages and the second part with the big one. On the first part there's the link to the second big part. Now there's no need anymore to load large documents and then seeing that's not the right one for you...

Best regards,
Ingo

Edited by Ingo - 23 Apr 07 at 8:06AM
ditte View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 9:18AM
Hi Ingo,

thanks for help. I think you mean Marian Pascalau?!
In which form can I mingle to her.
Like Harry Porter??

regards Dittmar

ditte View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 9:38AM
Hi Ingo,

sorry now I´ve understand what you mean.
Marian was the correct for new fetures.
An what you´ve done is also intersting.
But what I like to do is only to show simple pdf documents. They aren´t very big. But if you scroll throught a table the pdf (100 kb) use in the memory for shortly time 20 MB and the most of the cpu capacity. The same document as web optimized only 2 MB.

Regards Dittmar
marian_pascalau View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 9:51AM
Hi there, I know that I have long hair but I am still proud to be a man and not a women Smile

Dittmar, in case you want to get in contact with me you can reach me here or at support(at)quickpdf.org. Just because I don't answer it does not mean that I am not online, it just means that I am answering direct calls or some hard issues.

For your information: handling linearized PDF files is not on my dev list. Although I had no interest in this feature I am paying a lot of attention to performance problems. In case you have some performance issue fill free to write me about your problems.

best regards, Marian

Edited by marian_pascalau - 23 Apr 07 at 10:16AM
chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 10:48AM
Appligent has a free tool (APStripFiles) that comes with a nice bonus, the ability to linearize (Fast Web View) PDFs:

APStripFiles

Edited by chicks - 23 Apr 07 at 10:49AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 11:31AM
Dittmar,
I have investigated a little bit the theory of this feature. I understand now why it may be so important. I am so surprized that nobody mentioned it before.

Best regards, Marian
Michel_K17 View Drop Down
www.exp-systems.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michel_K17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 07 at 10:41PM
And, of course, Ghostscript also allows you to linearize PDF files.

Michel
ditte View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 10:31AM
Hi Marian,
sorry at first, I don´t know it.
Now to the problem.
I´ve tested the APStripsFiles and converting my files to linearize (Fast Web View).
But it don´t helps further. There are no visible better performance.
It seems not to be the problem.
I´ve a black/white document (24kB) it needs ca. 4 sec to loading
(PFU ScanSnap Manager 4.0.11, Adope PDF Scan Library 2.1, PDF Version 1.3)
I see in the Process Explorer (sysinternals) following memory transactions.
Working set before: 167.096K
Click of lading ->263.565K and back to  218.556 ( very much).
A other pdf document (I get it as offering from a distributor) It is in color(14kB)
( PScript.dll Version5.2,Acrobat Distiller 6.0(Windows) PDF Version: 1.4)
Working set before: 167.396K
Click of lading ->168.208 K
(My environment 1000Mbit Network, Server PentiiumIV, 2 GB Memory, W2003, Workstation Core2Duo, 2,4 GHz, 2 GB Memory)
I´m using the isedquickpdf(5.22.0.119) inside the gdpicturepro (3.03.0001).

Regards Dittmar

chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 10:51AM
So you're using QuickPDF, not Adobe Reader, to render and view the PDFs. Then linearizing won't help. QuickPDF is considerably slower than Adobe Reader at rendering. You may want to consider a faster alternative.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 1:30PM
ditte, the QuickPDF does not support linearized PDF's.

The problem is caused by the current implementation of PDF parsing engine. The QuickPDF loads the whole pdf in memory, scans for trailer (end of PDF), read the xref section and then jumps to the page location.

From what I understand to support linearized document the reader should read sequentialy the document, detect stream sections and render asynchroneusly when enough information is available.

This means that someone must write:
1. a new PDF parser (not really a problem)
2. a ThreadSafe rendering engine which can render images while document is loading.

This is not really a big implementation problem. But this is in now way something that it can be done for free.

For more details feel free to contact me per email:
support(at)quickpdf.org or quickpdf(at)gmx.net.

Edited by marian_pascalau - 24 Apr 07 at 1:37PM
ditte View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 2:34PM
Hi Marian,

thanks for your detailed representation.
Before I found quickpdf/pdpicture I´ve tested, I think more as 10 other similar products. I´m pleased with the tool. I think not, that the linearized pdf is  the solution for my dilemma.
I get my pdf´s on many ways. (email from other, self generated by CrystalReportsXI, printengine and over the scanner ScanScnap S500 from Fujitsu Simens). The last seams the proble to be. All incomming post will be scanned and pdf documents will be created. This will archived over other program. An this document make the trouble.  (if I  load these documents all the effects will be, that I´m had described. I don´t know how can I test this files to know what is wrong.

Is there a program that can test pdf files?

Regards Dittmar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 07 at 5:34PM
ditte, I cannot follow you
Please send a clear and complete description of your problem together with a PDF sample to support(at)quickpdf.org

In case this problem is caused by program logic please attach a small demo program as well. You can write your demo in Delphi, C++, VB or any .Net language you want.

Best regards, Marian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic