Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Set page scale in document properties?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Set page scale in document properties?
    Posted: 11 Mar 10 at 2:02PM
Hi all,

Is there a way to set the document properties for page scaling with activePDF?

Background: when we setPage say to "A4" and print it to a printer that cannot print up to the edges of A4 (most laser printers etc) the default behaviour of (at least) Acrobat Reader 9 is to fit the page within the printable area provided by the current selected printer. So the print-out ends up scaled down to (say) 96%.

AFAIK one can set the default page scaling within the PDF document (see the properties of any PDF document, head to "Extended" and there you have the "Print defaults" incl. page scaling). Adobe LiveCycle Production Print ES2 can do this.

To have the print out in 100% we can define a crop-box, of course. This helps with the page scaling issue but the view is cropped as well (that is the paper is no longer A4 when viewed in reader).

So is there a was to have something like "SetExtendedInformation" for page scaling or can this be solved different?

Greetings from Austria
Franz

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 7:01AM
Hi Franz!

" ... activePDF ..."?
This here is a forum specially for QuickPDF ;-)
I think the authors of activePDF have a support page, too?

Cheers, Ingo
Franz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 9:29AM

Hi Ingo,

Sorry about the typo - it's of course QuickPDF that I'am asking about (I did try out variouse libraries these days and hence the mix-up).

The issue remains though. Eg. when one upgrades his reader installion to version 9 and then opens e.g. the "QuickPDF Library 7.18 Reference Guide" PDF file (or any other) you end up with 96% zoom when printing to a A4 printer although there is no need for it. That is because of the initial page scaling option that shrinks A4 to A4 when there is a bleeding introduced by the current selected printer.

If one changes the setting of page scaling by hand, reader seems to remember this choice and on the next printing the scaling is gone.

So the question is: can we set the inital page scaling using QuickPDF library or do I misunderstand these extended properties of any PDF that lists default values for printing (page scaling, paper source, number of copies etc)?

Reason for all that: when you let your users print invoices over the internet/intranet, I would like to make sure the logos and everything is in correct size. We cannot tell them to set the page scaling by hand, so it would be a good idea to have that in the PDF file itself. I tried variouse combinations of the "PageBox" function w/o any success besides the Crop-Box, but that looks horrible when viewed. All the other boxed do not seem to have any influence on this issue.

Thank you for your support,

Franz

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 6:27AM
Hi Franz!

For my understanding these values will be parts of the document-properties if you set them - not to the pdf-reader. So you can customize each document how the layout for the initial display or the printout should be. I hope i've understand your question ;-)

Cheers and welcome here,
Ingo

Franz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 10 at 8:38AM
Hi Ingo,

Yes, that is what I want to achieve: the set the document properties initial values for - in my case - page scaling. We can set initial values for the layout ("SetPageLayout") or standard properties like the author("SetInformation") and even the look of the viewer itself ("SetViewerPreferences") and more.

But I cannot find a way to set the document properties for page scaling ("SetExtendedInformation"?). When we print directly we can use "PrintOptions" to avoid scaling (1st parameter set to "0"). That is what I want to set as a document property. Am I overseeing something?

I guess the "problem" is not obvious as most developers will set their viewer to no scaling once and then forget about it - until they upgrade to a new major version, were the inital value for page scaling will very likely be "fit to page" again.

Thank your for taking your time to help me in this matter.

Greetings,
Franz
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 10 at 6:43AM
Hi Franz!

You should post this for the further developement on the official support-pages.

Cheers, Ingo

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic