Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Random field displacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random field displacement
    Posted: 09 Jun 09 at 8:41PM

I use open a file(1) and populate fields accordingly then I open a file(2) that is a copy of one of the pages from file1 and populate it and merge with file1, but continue to open file2 and merge with file1 as many times as i need. The problem is randomly text is place in the wrong spots, but I have triple checked everything. example:

pdf.LoadFromFile (gsWebsiteFilePath & "\PCPPlan.pdf")
lDocumentID = pdf.SelectedDocument
lDocCnt = 0
ReDim Preserve aDoc(lDocCnt)
aDoc(lDocCnt) = lDocumentID
     ====fill====
For i = pdf.FormFieldCount To 1 Step -1
        lret = pdf.FlattenFormField(i)
Next
Do Until EOF
lDocCnt = lDocCnt + 1
     ====fill====
Next
lret = pdf.SelectDocument(aDoc(0))
lret = pdf.MergeDocument(aDoc(lDocCnt))
loop
lret = pdf.SaveToFile("funstuff")
DELBEKE View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DELBEKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 09 at 8:16AM
Hello and wellcome

Your code seem correct and i can't explain why this random problem occur.

Just a thing about your code. You don't need to keep all the document's Id in a array. When you do the merge function, the second document is unloaded and it's id is no longer valid

lFirstDoc = lDcoumentID
lDocCnt = 0
     ====fill====
Next
Do Until EOF  'I don't understand when EOF change to true/false
lDocCnt = lDocCnt + 1
     ====fill====
Next
lret = pdf.SelectDocument(lFirstDoc)
lret = pdf.MergeDocument(lDocumentID)
loop

I use open a file(1) and populate fields accordingly then I open a file(2) that is a copy of one of the pages from file1 and populate it and merge with file1, but continue to open file2 and merge with file1 as many times as i need. The problem is randomly text is place in the wrong spots, but I have triple checked everything. example:

lDocCnt = 0
     ====fill====
Next
Do Until EOF
lDocCnt = lDocCnt + 1
     ====fill====
Next
lret = pdf.SelectDocument(aDoc(0))
lret = pdf.MergeDocument(aDoc(lDocCnt))
loop

gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 09 at 5:08PM
I figured out the problem. It was that I populate file(a) and flatten then open a new file(b) then populate and flatten it then merge at the end; however, it should be that I populate file(a) and flatten then open file(b) then merge then populate then flatten. for example:

FirstDocumentID
     ====fill====
Next
Do Until EOF
lret = pdf.SelectDocument(FirstDocumentID)
lret = pdf.MergeDocument(lDocumentID)
     ====fill====
Next
loop
gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 09 at 6:32PM

This issue continues to happen during flattenformfield function. Here is the code used to flatten:

For i = CLng(pdf1.FormFieldCount) To 1 Step -1
       If CStr(pdf1.GetFormFieldValue(i)) <> "" Then
            lret = pdf1.FlattenFormField(i)
       Else
            lret = pdf1.DeleteFormField(i)
       End If
Next

If I don't flatten data is fine, however, I have to flatten to merge all generated pdfs together.

This needs to be resolved. thanks.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 09 at 8:13PM
Hi!

I don't know why you're posting one problem in three threads?
Did you read the kb-article from Rowan? The important thing is that after each flatten the number of the formfields will be reduced by one. So if you're using loops with formfieldcount you have to keep an eye on this fact ;-)

Cheers, Ingo
gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 09 at 1:34AM
Yeah, sorry about posting in three spots, but they all seem to be the same issue. So, I thought I might have a better chance of getting the issue resolved. The Link that you gave me with the code for flattening is the same as the code I us. Plus, I did copy that code for the link, just in case, to my code, but the result was the same. Yes, I know if you flatten one out of 12, you will have 11. The problem is that when flattening the data gets mixed up some how, either the data is doubled to another spot that should be something else, or the data is just missing from the form field it self. If you need more data I can try to post some more code, images, or links to files tomorrow when working in the server. let me know if you come up with anything. Thanks and sorry again.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 09 at 6:36AM
Hi!

What about the long way?
Load the files one by one, flatten the fields, save the files, load the files and merge them?

Cheers, Ingo
gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 2:41AM

I've tried to do the long way and the short way. Both produce the same results.  Here is my codeIf Not (oRs.BOF And oRs.EOF) Then

lFndSrcID = oRs!FundSrcID
    lYear = oRs!Year
    lMonth = oRs!Month

While Not oRs.EOF
        documentCount = documentCount + 1

Set pdf1 = CreateQuickPDF()
        'Setup Temp folder
        If Not TempFolder.FolderExists(sFolder & "PDFTemp\") Then
            TempFolder.CreateFolder sFolder & "PDFTemp\"
        End If

If Not CBool(pdf1.LoadFromFile(gsWebsiteFilePath & "\VRdoc.pdf")) Then
            CreateVRPDF = False
            Exit Function
        End If

'========================================================================================
        'Fill in pdf

sVendorNumber = NullToString(oRs!VendorNumber)
        lret = pdf1.SetFormFieldValueByTitle("VR Number", sVRNumber)

'========================================================================================
        For i = CLng(pdf1.FormFieldCount) To 1 Step -1
            If CStr(pdf1.GetFormFieldValue(i)) <> "" Then
                lret = pdf1.FlattenFormField(i)
            Else
                lret = pdf1.DeleteFormField(i)
            End If
        Next
  lret = pdf1.CompressContent
        lret = pdf1.SaveToFile(sFolder & "PDFTemp\" & documentCount & "_temp.pdf")
        lret = pdf.AddToFileList("pdflist", sFolder & "PDFTemp\" & documentCount & "_temp.pdf")
        lret = pdf1.RemoveDocument(pdf1.SelectedDocument)

Set pdf1 = Nothing
        oRs.MoveNext
    Wend
End If
oRs.Close
Set oRs = Nothing

If documentCount <> 0 Then
    If documentCount <= 1 Then
        lret = pdf.SaveToFile(sFolder & lFndSrcID & "_" & lMonth & "_" & lYear & ".pdf")
    Else
        lret = pdf.MergeFileListFast("pdflist", sFolder & lFndSrcID & "_" & lMonth & "_" & lYear & ".pdf")
        lret = pdf.ClearFileList("pdflist")
    End If
End If

gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 2:45AM
As you might have noticed in the code, I also initalize and kill pdf1 each loop hoping that would fix the issue, but it didn't.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 6:06AM
... If you've already tried the latest (7.17) version now it's time to visit the official support-pages ;-)

Cheers, Ingo
Shotgun Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 4:31PM
Gkell:

Why not create all your temp files, merge them and then do the form flattening to the single merged file?

I know that works as I've created a program that merges IRS Tax Form's and the flattening is done only on the resulting merge file.

Tom
gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 6:40PM

I have tried that too, but when I merge the temp files all the data is the same as the first page. Maybe my merging method is incorrect. You see my code, is there something to add to it so that when I merge the temps that the data doesn't stay the same as the first page?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 6:59PM
Try adding the UpdateAppearanceStream directly after you set the data for each form field.

PDF1.UpdateAppearanceStream Index

Function QuickPDF0716.PDFLibrary::UpdateAppearanceStream(Index As Long) As Long
You are using the Active X version, correct?

gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 7:07PM
Yes, Active X version 7.16. Tried UpdateAppearanceStream, but same outcome.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 7:56PM
Are the formfield names in different documents or pages the same?
I've read that this can be a problem, too.

Cheers, Ingo
gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 8:06PM

Basically it's one template file that I populate for each recordset retreived. So every page is the same but the form field data is different in each page (for the most part). So yes the form fields are named the same because it's just one template file used to generate the multi page pdf.

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 8:22PM
Really... This can be the problem.
Try to find few other (different) pdf-forms and merge them.
There won't be a problem. I'm pretty sure.

Cheers, Ingo 
gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 8:38PM
Well, all the pages must be the same format...? Should I just copy that pdf and load it every other time or something? Not sure how to use different if they have to be the same.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 09 at 9:06PM
What i wanna suggest is try few forms which should have different fieldnames and merge them.
You'll see it will work ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 09 at 2:08PM
gKell:  Ingo may be on to something.

Question:  If you merge the temp documents without flattening the fields is the final merged PDF correct?
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 09 at 2:14PM
test it and then you'll know it
nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 09 at 11:03PM
I get the same behavior using a PDF template from the IRS.  If I do not flatten the fields, the PDF is correct.  If I flatten the fields the PDF fields are not correct.  I am using this with VB6.  This is how I flatten:

Public Sub FlattenFormFields(ByVal FileNamePs$)
    CtNik.WriteToDebugView "Entering PdfForm.FlattenFormFields..."
    CtNik.WriteToDebugView "Form field count = " & CStr(pdfLibM.FormFieldCount)

Call pdfLibM.LoadFromFile(FileNamePs$)
    If (Len(fileNameMs$) < 1) Then Err.Raise ErrorPdfFileNameIsEmptyK&, "PdfForm.Save", "The PDF file name can not be empty."

Dim currentFieldL%
    Do While pdfLibM.FormFieldCount > 0
        currentFieldL% = pdfLibM.FormFieldCount
        If (pdfLibM.FlattenFormField(currentFieldL%) <> 1) Then
            Err.Raise ErrorCouldNotFlattenPdfFormFieldK&, "PdfForm.FlattenFormFields", "Unable to flatten form field with index " & CStr(currentFieldL%)
        End If
    Loop

If (pdfLibM.SaveToFile(fileNameMs$) = 0) Then Err.Raise ErrorCouldNotSavePdfFileK&, "PdfForm.Save", "Encountered " & CStr(pdfLibM.LastErrorCode) & " saving PDF " & fileNameMs$

CtNik.WriteToDebugView "Form field count = " & CStr(pdfLibM.FormFieldCount)
    CtNik.WriteToDebugView "Leaving PdfForm.FlattenFormFields..."
End Sub

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 12:42AM
Hey Nhemdal:

I have no problem flattening an IRS form. 

Remember, the behavior of the flatten command causes the field count and index to change.  This will create problems in the code you posted.  As I posted above and again below, you need to loop backwards through the fields when flattening.  Here's that snippet of code:

Private Sub FlattenFields()

If QP.LoadFromFile(OutPDFFileName) = 1 Then

'How many fields to fill?
      Dim FieldIndex As Integer
     FieldCount = QP.FormFieldCount()

For i = FieldCount To 1 Step -1

QP.FlattenFormField i
        DoEvents

Next

If QP.SaveToFile(OutPDFFileName) = 1 Then
        'do nothing
       Else
         MsgBox "Error, file could not be written. - " & OutPDFFileName & vbCrLf
         Msg = Msg & "Field Flattening Failed!" & Time & vbCrLf
       End If

Else

MsgBox "Error, merged file not loaded.", vbCritical, "Flattening Error!"

End If

End Sub
nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 1:24AM
I am using quickpdf 7.16.  The IRS form is the 4549, and it has two pages.  I rename the fields, using SetFormFieldChildTitle, in case I have to append additional 4549's to the initial one.  In my test case, there are no additional PDFs merged in; however, the fields are renamed.  When I use FlattenFOrmFIeld I get spurious data in random form fields.  All of the form fields get set with data.  I initially was calling FlattenFormField after I set a value, but same behavior.  I switched to calling after all data has been set - same error.  I know that the calls to SetFormFieldValueByTitle contain the correct data and have verified/validated this since if saving without flattening the PDF is correct.   If I flatten to print, or send to viewer, then I get incorrect values for fields (other than what was set - even though set calls trace with correct values).  I tried the following code as suggested, and I still get the same issue.  I initially tried the code specified below.  I have removed all unnecessary form fields from the template PDFs. 

Public Sub FlattenFormFields(ByVal FileNamePs$)

If (Len(fileNameMs$) < 1) Then Err.Raise ErrorPdfFileNameIsEmptyK&, "PdfForm.Save", "The PDF file name can not be empty."
    Call pdfLibM.LoadFromFile(FileNamePs$)

Dim I As Integer
    Dim FieldCount As Integer
    FieldCount = pdfLibM.FormFieldCount()
    For I = FieldCount To 1 Step -1
       pdfLibM.FlattenFormField I
       DoEvents
    Next

If (pdfLibM.SaveToFile(fileNameMs$) = 0) Then Err.Raise ErrorCouldNotSavePdfFileK&, "PdfForm.Save", "Encountered " & CStr(pdfLibM.LastErrorCode) & " saving PDF " & fileNameMs$

End Sub
nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 1:44AM

Here is the screenshot of my issue.  http://www.hemdal.com/Blogs/tabid/54/Default.aspx   The left-aligned K under the 700 should say 750.  If not flattened it is correct.  Running flattenformfield causes this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 2:34AM
I'd be happy to take a look at it if you'd like.  How are you populating the form fields?

You can email the pdf form to t.m.o.r.a.n4511 at h.o.t.m.a.i.l. dot com

The email address is purposefully disguised to avoid getting spam mail from scrapers.  Remove the periods and use the correct syntax (the @ symbol, etc.) for sending email if you'd like to send it.

Tom
nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 1:40PM
Given a template PDF - downloaded IRS form slightly customized using Foxit Phantom.  I created a simple vb6 project with one button with code-behindas follows:

Option Explicit
'Private pdfLib As QuickPDFAX0716.PDFLibrary
Private pdfLib As Object
Private Sub cmdFlatten_Click()
    On Error GoTo TrapError
    Dim fso As Object
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    If (pdfLib Is Nothing) Then
        Set pdfLib = CreateObject("QuickPDFAX0716.PDFLibrary")
        pdfLib.UnlockKey ("...")
    End If
    Dim outputFullPath As String

Dim testPdfCount As Integer
    testPdfCount = 3
    Dim j As Integer
    For j = 1 To testPdfCount
        outputFullPath = "C:\footest" & CStr(j) & ".pdf"

If (fso.FileExists(outputFullPath)) Then fso.DeleteFile (outputFullPath)
        fso.CopyFile "C:\foo.pdf", outputFullPath

Call pdfLib.LoadFromFile(outputFullPath)

Dim I As Integer
        FieldCount = pdfLib.FormFieldCount()
        For I = FieldCount To 1 Step -1
           pdfLib.FlattenFormField I
        Next

Call pdfLib.SaveToFile(outputFullPath)
    Next
Cleanup:
    Exit Sub
TrapError:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Cleanup
End Sub

This will still generate the error intermittently.
nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 2:50PM
Upgrading to 7.17 did not help.  It does not happen on the same form field all the time either. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 4:46PM

Hi Niklas:

I have tried, over a dozen times, flattening the foo.pdf file you sent me.  Each time it correctly flattens the fields.

I reduced the flattening to the smallest amount of code possible. 

Start a new project.  Add the QuickPDF 7.17 reference library.  Add a single command button.  Paste the following code into your project:

'-----------------------------------------------------------------
Option Explicit
Dim QP
Dim i As Integer
Private ret As Long
Private Sub Command1_Click()

Dim PDFFileName As String
 Dim SaveFileName As String

PDFFileName =  ' put your source file here "C:\Documents\foo.pdf"
 SaveFileName = 'put your destination save file pathname here "C:\Documents\footomflat.pdf"

If QP.LoadFromFile(PDFFileName) = 1 Then

'How many fields to fill?

FieldCount = QP.FormFieldCount()
   MsgBox FieldCount 'should be 192 for your form

For i = FieldCount To 1 Step -1

QP.FlattenFormField i
     Next

If QP.SaveToFile(SaveFileName) = 1 Then
        MsgBox "saved - " & SaveFileName & vbCrLf
      Else
        MsgBox "Error, file could not be written. - " & PDFFileName & vbCrLf
      End If

Else

MsgBox "Error, file not loaded."

End If
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
  ClassName = "QuickPDFAX0717.PDFLibrary"
  LicenseKey = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 'SET YOUR LICENSE KEY HERE...
  Set QP = CreateObject(ClassName)
  ret = QP.UnlockKey(LicenseKey)
  MsgBox ret

End Sub
'-------------------------------------

It works correctly every time I've run on my system.  If this project works correctly on yours then there has to be some other code in your project that is causing the problem.

Tom

nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 6:38PM
Tom,
I still get the same behavior with the code snippet that you supplied. 

VB6 SP6
XP SP2
QuickPDF 7.17 - standard license valid to version  7.99

Info reported by sysinternals ProcExp when running compiled simple vb6 test project:
QuickPDFAX0717.dll   v 7.17.1029.0209
VB VM v.  6.00.0098.0002
typical mumbo jumbo ms support files

Foxit Phantom 1.0 flattens the pages correctly on my system.

-noh
nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 7:01PM
Ok, I went to my native tongue C#.  In addition, I included another PDF component vendor that I use in another project to make sure that I am not losing it.  QuickPdf flattened file is incorrect, but other vendor's flattened version is correct.  Not only is it correct, but it is 10 times smaller in size.  Now, other vendor is native .NET, but in this case I need COM.  The conundrum.

static void Main(string[] args)

{

string sourceFileName = @"C:\foo.pdf";

string destFileName = @"C:\flatfoo.pdf";

string otherVendorDestFileName = @"C:\otherVendorFlatFoo.pdf";

string licenseKey = "...";

QuickPDFAX0717.PDFLibrary qp = new QuickPDFAX0717.PDFLibrary();

if ( 1 == qp.UnlockKey(licenseKey) )

{

qp.LoadFromFile(sourceFileName);

int fieldCount = qp.FormFieldCount();

for (int i = fieldCount; i >= 1; i--)

{

qp.FlattenFormField(i);

}

if (File.Exists(destFileName)) { File.Delete(destFileName); }

qp.SaveToFile(destFileName);

}

OtherVendor.PDFDocument doc = new OtherVendor.PDFDocument(sourceFileName);

if (null != doc)

{

doc.FlattenFormFields ();

doc.SaveToFile (otherVendorDestFileName);

}

}

Edited by nhemdal - 13 Nov 09 at 7:01PM
nhemdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nhemdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 09 at 8:41PM
Ok, so I opened a generic Windows XP SP3 VM on my Mac  to rule out some wierd config on the Wintel box I was using in previous posts.  My QA group also gets this intermittent error, so it's not some wierd config issue I think.  Other vendors and software work on same HW.  No Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader is installed on the VM.  I have VB6 SP6 on it, and I installed quickpdf 7.17 and GDViewer OCX for viewing.  I created the simple VB6 projects specified in posts above, and same issue out of the gates.  I'm at a loss.  Product losing credibility in my book - also have yet to hear response from support.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 09 at 3:14AM
Hi Niklas:

I know this is frustrating for you.  If you submitted the problem to tech support they will get back with you.

I've tried a few other things and still cannot duplicate the error you're getting.  I have viewed the results in Acrobat 9 Pro, PDF XPress Viewer, Adobe Reader 8, FoxIt and a GDPicture ocx viewer I created.  The results from all my test files and your error file display the same in each viewer. 

However, I did note one curious thing... file size.  Just for kicks I also flattened your original foo.pdf using Acrobat 9 Pro and GDPicture.  The file size on each is quite different.  The really strange thing is the file size of your flattened file.

Your original foo.pdf, unflattened, is 98302.

The file size results of flattening in each of the following:

Acrobat 9 Pro:  187352
GDPicture:  245658
MyFlatRoutine:  248762 (with QuickPDF)
YourFlatfoopdf:  93976

Your flattened file size is smaller than the original.  How can that be?  Even Acrobat, which has the smallest size is double that of the original.

I now have tried My routine and file viewing on three computers... one with XP/SP3, one on my neighbor's Vista and on a brand new Windows 7 box.  All results are the same.

Something strange is happening.  It drives me nuts that I can't duplicate your error.

I sent you an image of the file size comparisons to your email.

Tom
gkell View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 09 at 8:13PM
Actually found a fix to this issue. Basically, I decided, since flattening was the issue, to not flatten at all and instead to rename the child title to the document count and form field index. Example:
           lret = pdf.SetFormFieldChildTitle(i, pdf.GetFormFieldTitle(i) & documentCount & i)
           'If CStr(pdf.GetFormFieldValue(i)) <> "" Then
           '    lret = pdf.FlattenFormField(i)
           'Else
           '    lret = pdf.DeleteFormField(i)
           'End If
     Next
And if you need the form to not be edited then you should use SetFormFieldReadOnly function also.

Edited by gkell - 17 Nov 09 at 8:17PM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic