Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem with PrintDocument method with greek chars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with PrintDocument method with greek chars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcFR30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with PrintDocument method with greek chars
    Posted: 23 Oct 07 at 3:47AM
Hello,

I have a problem using the PrintDocument method.

I have a PDF which has been generated by printing a word document on a "PDF Creator" printer. The word document contains "special characters" has greek characters (sigma, delta) or mathematical characters (<= less or equal). The PDF which has been generated contains these characters correctly. If I print this document in Acrobat Reader, the result is good. If I print this document by isEDQuickPDF component by using PrintDocument method, these characters are not correct (for example, lowercase sigma is replaced by uppercase sigma, and uppercase delta looks like being drawn twice, with a very small shift between both).

Has anybody already had this problem or could give me an advice ?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Marc (FRANCE)
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 07 at 3:57AM
Hi Marc!

I've made bad experiences with PDFCreator and much better one with FreePDF. It can't be a solution to say "use FreePDF" but you should try it - The results will be better (i think so).

It's always good if you can upload the pdf on your webspace - so the interested users here can have a look on to give you some advices. You can send the file to support -at- quickpdf -dot- org too.

Best regards,
Ingo
MarcFR30 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcFR30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 07 at 5:44AM
Hi Ingo!

And thank you for your quick answer !
I've made several experiences... and effectively, if I use FreePDF, I obtain a PDF file which can be printed out correctly by the printDocument method...

I suppose that PDF Creator don't generate a PDF File 100 % compatible ?
But I am not sure to understand why the result is correct when I print out this pdf file directly from Acrobat Reader...

Well, a problem remains... I am not sure I can use FreePDF either, because the generation of the PDF File from the word file is done by my delphi program, and the options of PDF Creator program let me indicate the name for the pdf file generated...

I have not seen this kind of options in FreePDF, so when I generate the pdf document by printing my word document, I obtain the screen that let me choose if I want to save the pdf file or something else, and this is something I don't want to.

Perhaps do you know how to do that with FreePDF or do you know a PDF printer that can do that ?

I don't know how to upload both pdf files on my webspace but I send you these files by mail.

Just another point : I use for the moment IsEDQuickPDF 5.11 (dcu version for Delphi 5). If I use 5.21 dcu version (with two files .res of the 5.11 in order to compile), I can print out normally the pdf file generated by FreePDF, but when I try to print out the pdf file generated by pdf creator, I have pages without only drawings, columns, ... and absolutely no text at all... Perhaps this indication could help you...

I thank you in advance for what you could advice me...

Best regards,
Marc
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 07 at 3:15PM
Hi!

I've made some bad experiences with FreePDF, too.
Both - PDFcreator and FreePDF are using the Ghostscript-engine. FreePDF XP 3.07 with AFPL Ghostscript 8.51 works fine - FreePDF XP 3.07 with AFPL Ghostscript 8.54 works bad.
FreePDF XP 1.5 with GPL Ghostscript 8.15 is good, too.
Old invoices from me still generated with PDFCreator Version 0.7.1 and  AFPL Ghostscript 8.0 works very bad.
With PDFcreator it's the same - So you have to try it out. Sorry.
My advice would be: Take a PDFcreator with a Ghostscript-engine from 8.15 up to 8.51 - this should work for you ;-)

Best regards,
Ingo

Edited by Ingo - 23 Oct 07 at 3:33PM
chicks View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 07 at 4:47PM
I've been using TinyPDF for a week or so, it looks good so far, and is truly tiny compared to the GS-based alternatives:

http://www.tinypdf.com/

I haven't throughly tested it for compliance to the PDF spec, however...
MarcFR30 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcFR30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 4:20AM
Hello,

I give you information when I find them...

I cannot use TinyPDf for the same reason than FreePDF XP (it is not possible to configure an auto-save option).

I have tried PDF Creator with versions 8.15, 8.50, 8.54, 8.60 GPL versions of GhostScript and result is the same.

I have made some tests and I think I can tell now exactly (or almost) when the problem occurs.

The problem occurs only when Symbol font is used in Word, and in two cases :
  1- when a symbol char is in bold, then the char is printed out twice with a slight shift
  2- when a symbol char is an lowercase greek char, then the uppercase greek char is printed instead of the lowercase char.

For point 1, I suppose that the problem is that in Windows\Font, I have only a SYMBOL.TTF, while I have ARIAL.TTF (Arial) and ARIALBD.TTF (Arial Bold). So I suppose that the PrintDocument method tries to simulate Bold from Symbol.ttf and print the char twice, but with a bigger shift than it would be. Well, if it is really that, I don't really know how to solve it either ! lol

Now, what I am going to test is to use the methods can manage fonts in the isEDQuickPDF component as AddTrueTypeFont, or AddSubsettedFont.

I will give you information about my tests.

If this font problem makes you think to something, your comments are welcome !

Have a nice day !

Marc
marian_pascalau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 10:44AM
Marc, maybe you already know that I am still working with my own version of QuickPDF library. Some results of my work I have sent you per email.

Can you please check if with my version everything is ok? The result was created in form of JPG images.

Best regards, Marian
MarcFR30 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcFR30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 07 at 3:28AM
Hi Marian,
I have sent you an answer per email. In fact you have the same problem as me. I explain you that in the email.
Best regards, Marc
marian_pascalau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 07 at 5:19AM

Mark, I have sent you another answer to your problem.

For other users havind the same problem here is my answer:

..... go to unit: uPDFFontConst, find the variable SLCharNames and change its type from TStringList to TCaseSensitiveStringList......

Best regards, Marian

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic