Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PDF look terrible in Adobe but better in Chrome
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PDF look terrible in Adobe but better in Chrome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletchsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PDF look terrible in Adobe but better in Chrome
    Posted: 18 Jan 21 at 6:36PM
We have been receiving complaints on how bad the PDF looks in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC but looks fine in Chrome PDF Viewer.

We use Quick PDF to create new PDF but we don't know exactly what to look for, to tweak Quick PDF with to make it look better in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

So does anyone know how to adjust the Quick PDF (or perhap Adobe Acrobat Reader DC) to look like Chrome?    

Edited by fletchsod - 09 Feb 21 at 2:42PM
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 21 at 7:08PM
Hi Fletcher,

the functions...
SetOpenActionDestination,
SetOpenActionDestinationFull and
SetViewerPreferences you'll know already?
Perhaps with these functions you can have some influences on how to show the pdf after open?

https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SetOpenActionDestination.php
https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SetOpenActionDestinationFull.php
https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SetViewerPreferences.php

If not, it will be better to have some mal displayed sample pdfs to test ourselves...

Cheers,
Ingo

fletchsod View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletchsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 21 at 5:44PM
It is a bit different.  The thing is the PDF have done it's job, so the only thing is it rendered differently, when viewing in both Chrome & Adobe Reader.  Here attached are the 4 files below.

How do you attach the files to this forum post?

Edited by fletchsod - 19 Jan 21 at 5:45PM
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 21 at 10:14PM
You can upload them anywhere on a free file hoster or - if available - on own webspace.

Chrome uses PDFium as renderer.
Acrobat has its own render functionality.
QuickPDF offers functionality to select a special renderer.

Here's a how to regarding rendering:
https://www.debenu.com/kb/use-rendering-printing-add-debenu-quick-pdf-library/

With SelectRenderer you can make some tries with different renderer engines like GDI+, Cairo, DPLR (AGG) or PDFium:
https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SelectRenderer.php

Edited by Ingo - 19 Jan 21 at 10:24PM
Cheers,
Ingo

fletchsod View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletchsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 21 at 10:23PM
Well that's suck!  Here you go!  You'll need to download the file when you get to that website url.  There are 2 testcases, 1) Buyer Guide & 2) Whatever.   The JPEG image show the difference between Chrome & Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  The PDF is the testcase file that got viewed in Chrome & Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/918846/BuyersGuide_1_19_2021%2012_28_57%20PM.pdf

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/918847/whatever.jpg

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/918848/whatever.pdf

Edited by fletchsod - 20 Jan 21 at 1:43PM
fletchsod View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletchsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 21 at 4:24PM
Anyone know the answer?
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 21 at 10:00PM
Sorry but i don't want toinsert my email adress at filehosting.org.

Cheers,
Ingo

fletchsod View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletchsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 21 at 10:02PM
Well, you asked me to use Free Hosting for the files & we don't know which one to use?

We need a solution to the Quick PDF because customers been calling!

Edited by fletchsod - 09 Feb 21 at 2:42PM
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 21 at 9:57PM
Dropbox you can use without sending an email address for download.
But i think THIS is the wrong place here for you.
This here is a small community with and for developers.
If there's some time we can support a little bit with an idea or a few lines of code. Sometimes we can post samples for special usage.
If you can explain your problem in a detailed way and if you think that's a library error then you should post it on the official support page from Foxit/Debenu.
BTW: I've inserted my email adress and the form tells me:
"Please provide a valid email address." ;-)
A second address works... But the promised link doesn't arrive :(
I've tried some of my pdf-files with Chrome, Sumatra, Foxit and Acro... If there are any differences i don't see them.
Did you try different renderers?
You didn't post any code so that's all i can tell.
Sorry.
Cheers,
Ingo

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 21 at 4:58AM
This is not related to QuickPDF rather to AcrobatReader - install different AcrobatReader version and it will be fine.
We have the same problem with PDF Invoces generated from some ERP program (not related to QuickPDF).

Did you try to use NormalizePage() ?

; get number of Page
Local $iTotalPages = $oQP.PageCount

; normalize all page
For $iCurrentPage = 1 To $iTotalPages
$oQP.SelectPage($iCurrentPage)
$oQP.NormalizePage($iNormalizeOptions)
Next

Do you attach fonts with your PDF ?

Try also:
"Option 10 to ReplaceFonts removes embedded fonts if it matches the 14 standard fonts"

Edited by mLipok - 31 Jan 21 at 10:11PM
Here you can find description how to test my examples:
http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2932&PID=12600&title=drawcapturedpagematrix-matrix-howto#12600
fletchsod View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletchsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 21 at 3:07PM
>> Dropbox you can use without sending an email address for download.

Here's the DropBox url.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8a35afhdkax2agp/AADwJ8SOtLaeuWZlicLVZ6Waa?dl=0

>> But i think THIS is the wrong place here for you.  This here is a small community with and for developers.

Well, we paid for Quick PDF through https://www.debenu.com/products/development/debenu-pdf-library/ & http://www.quickpdf.org/ .   They then pointed us to this forum.  Not your fault.  We haven't found any other forums for QUICK PDF by the way.

>> If you can explain your problem in a detailed way and if you think that's a library error then you should post it on the official support page from Foxit/Debenu.

We did that for few different issues & still haven't heard back for a few months now.  That does suck for us here unfortunately.  One of us called the employer's employee there in another country & talked a little but that employee was so swapped with other stuff.  So, we're kinda stuck here with not much help.  Oh well

>> 
This is not related to QuickPDF rather to AcrobatReader - install different AcrobatReader version and it will be fine.

The customer is using the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.   Our staff use Adobe Professional to create a PDF template.   I don't see how does changing the product help us, we can't simply change it cuz of 20+ years in using Adobe Professional to make those PDF templates & it is too much work to start over from scratch with different products.

I will take a look at NormalizePage().  We only use the H
elvetica, Courier New font that is available as TTF on the server's local disk where Amazon software reside on.

Will take a look at your other link.

Any other solutions you have on solving the Chrome PDF & Adobe PDF difference will be great!

Our script is below.  I had to copy & paste them from several files into 1 short version script.

--snip--

public class FormPDFService : IFormPDFService
    {
        private readonly IPdfEditorService _pdfEditorService;

public FormPDFService(
            IPdfEditorService pdfEditorService,
            IAmazonManagerService amazonManagerService,
            IFormService formService
        )
        {
            _pdfEditorService = pdfEditorService;
            _amazonManagerService = amazonManagerService;
            _formService = formService;
        }

public byte[] GetMappedFormToPrint(FormWriter formWriter, bool isDocuSign)
        {
            var pdfBytes = new byte[] { };
            var pdfApp = _pdfEditorService.PdfInitialize();
            var pdfFilename = formDescription.ToLower().EndsWith(".pdf") ? $"{formDescription}" : $"{formDescription}.pdf";
            var azureKeyName = $"{formWriter.Company.DealPackAcctNo}/Foo PDF/{pdfFilename}";

formWriter.PdfTemplateLocation = pdfFilename;

using (var pdfFileStream = _amazonManagerService.GetPdfTemplate(azureKeyName))
            using (var ms = new MemoryStream())
            {
                pdfFileStream.CopyTo(ms);
                pdfBytes = ms.ToArray();
            }

if (pdfApp.LoadFromString(pdfBytes, null) == 0)
            {
                var error1 = pdfApp.LastRenderError();  // https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/LastErrorCode.php
                var error2 = pdfApp.LastErrorCode();
                Console.Out.WriteLine($"Unable to load PDF from data stream,\nError #1: {error1},\nError #2: {error2}");
                throw new Exception("Unable to load PDF from data stream");
            }

var swTimeout = (30 * 1000);  // 1 second = (1 second * 1,000 milliseconds);
            var swIsTimedOut = false;
            var swLoop = new Stopwatch();
                swLoop.Start();

for (int fieldIX = 0; fieldIX < pdfApp.FormFieldCount(); fieldIX++)
            {
                if (swLoop.ElapsedMilliseconds >= swTimeout)
                {
                    swLoop.Stop();
                    swIsTimedOut = true;
                    break;
                }

var loopCounter = fieldIX + 1;
                var fieldName = pdfApp.GetFormFieldTitle(loopCounter);  // FoxIt QuickPDF start with 1, not 0.

if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(fieldName))
                {
                    continue;
                }
                else if (fieldName.EndsWith("."))  // This indicate we have AcroForm field-name duplications.  (FoxIt Quick PDF append the "." to it for unknown reasons).
                {
                    fieldName = fieldName.Substring(0, (fieldName.Length - 1));
                }

var fieldResult = _formService.SendDpValuesToPdf(fieldName, formWriter);
                if (fieldResult.Value != null)
                {
                    var fieldValue = fieldResult.Value.ToSafeString().Trim();

if (!isDocuSign && fieldValue.StartsWith(@"\"))
                    {
                        continue;  // Ignore DocuSign values.
                    }
                    else if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(fieldValue))  
                    {
                        // Notice: We can't assign any blank value here, or it will wipe out the PDF's default value that our employer's Support staff programmed it with in Adobe Professional.
                        continue;
                    }

if (pdfApp.SetFormFieldValueByTitle(fieldName, fieldValue) == 0)
                    {
                        var error1 = pdfApp.LastRenderError();  // https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/LastErrorCode.php
                        var error2 = pdfApp.LastErrorCode();
                        Console.Out.WriteLine($"Internal issue(s) found when setting Form Field's value,\nError #1: {error1},\nError #2: {error2}");
                    }
                }
            }

swLoop.Stop();

pdfApp.SelectedDocument();

pdfBytes = pdfApp.SaveToString();

return pdfBytes;
        }
    }
--snip--

Edited by fletchsod - 09 Feb 21 at 2:40PM
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 21 at 7:19PM
I've tried to open the pdf-forms with these browsers:
Microsoft Edge, Cliqz, Google Chrome and Firefox Quantum.
I've tried to open the pdf-forms with Sumatra and Foxit.
I've always the same issues that you've already described.

Then i've used Adobe Reader DC... and it works fine.
It works fine with a pdf made by Adobe... THIS smells a bit strange :(
It seems to me that Adobe wants its investments secured :(

Otherwise, i agree with mLipok's opinion.
For me it's not a problem of QuickPDF.
The best address for your issue is the adobe-support.

Cheers,
Ingo

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 21 at 2:13PM
@Ingo did you just say that you have oposite issue... 

I mean:

Your case is:
Works well only in AdobeReader

fletchsod case is:
Do not work well only in AdobeReader 

?

http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2932&PID=12600&title=drawcapturedpagematrix-matrix-howto#12600
tfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 21 at 9:26PM
I came to the same conclusion as Ingo. The files looked better in Adobe, as one often finds. though perhaps not perfect (the OP does not list precisely what is incorrect).  Some other rendering also inserted > between the words, instead of spaces, but who knows if perhaps they were part of the design. I could reproduce this.

It's not my programming language, so I am not going to comment on the code, but it looks to me as if the solution will require careful, controlled debugging, bug by bug, both of the original PDF and the added fields. Too many variables to devise a solution in the forum.
mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 21 at 10:26PM
"The customer is using the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC."
"Our staff use Adobe Professional to create the PDF template.   So I don't see how does changing the product help us, we can't change it cuz of 20+ years of using Adobe Professional for making the PDF templates & it is too much work to start over with different products."

As I understand the problem is only on customers machine not on yours.
I do not that you should change yours system.
Try to check if customer after using older Acrobat Reader version will have the same issue.

"I will take a look at NormalizePage().  We only use the Helvetica, Courier New font that is available as TTF on the server's local disk where Amazon software reside on."

Try also:
"Option 10 to ReplaceFonts removes embedded fonts if it matches the 14 standard fonts"

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 21 at 10:26PM
https://www.winking.be/en/products/pdfanalyzer

says:
"PDF Syntax error : unpack requires a string argument of length 8"
mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 21 at 10:27PM
check also:
https://www.winking.be/en/products/pdfanalyzer

Font name: ??????

Are you using Arial + Hevletica + "ZapfDingbats" font ?

What this is "ZapfDingbats" font ?

Edited by mLipok - 31 Jan 21 at 10:38PM
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 21 at 8:49PM
Hi Michal,

ZapfDingBats is a symbol font ... very similar to windings.

Cheers,
Ingo

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 21 at 8:56PM
Both samples work well with Acrobat Reader DC... ONLY with Acrobat Reader DC.
All other apps have the issues described by Fletch already.
Due to this behavior i would ask Adobe first!

Cheers,
Ingo

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 21 at 9:18PM
This i've found in the pdf-content:
"...
<</Type/CMap/CMapName/Adobe-Identity-UCS/CIDSystemInfo<</Registry(Adobe)/Ordering(Identity)/Supplement 0>>
..."
"Adobe-Identity-UCS" is the key i think that it only works with another Adobe-product in a proper way?

You're telling that the template is made by Adobe Acrobat.
When i look into the resulting pdf i see that it's generated with "PDF Clown".
An open source library for Java/.NET with no further developement for more than three years now.
I've read from users, telling that the library isn't ready yet.

In this pdf-samples are at least two construction sites and should be examined by the human creators step by step.
I would like to help but here i'm out now.

Cheers,
Ingo

fletchsod View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fletchsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 21 at 1:37PM
We tried all of those suggestions being provided in this post.

1) 

https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SetOpenActionDestination.php
   https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SetOpenActionDestinationFull.php
   https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SetViewerPreferences.php

2) Rendering engine

https://www.debenu.com/kb/use-rendering-printing-add-debenu-quick-pdf-library/
   https://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/SelectRenderer.php

3) NormalizePage() & "Option 10 to ReplaceFonts removes embedded fonts if it matches the 14 standard fonts"

4) Whatever else here, etc.

They all still didn't fix our issues.  

Then we finally found the problem ourselves.  Phew.   It is a bug in Quick PDF after all.  From several posts & Google research, it showed this bug exists for 10+ years.  Further researches showed it is due to Quick PDF design limitations as it doesn't know what to do with field name duplications, so as a consequences those remaining fields got left blank.   

That would explain why confusing results & confusing feedbacks.  The reason it works in Chrome & not in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is because Chrome broke apart the generated Quick PDF & made a new Chrome PDF, followed by plucking off some of the Quick PDF fragmentations & imported them into Chrome PDF which is why it works in Chrome.    As for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, it just show as it is from what got generated by Quick PDF.

Since we can't rename the fields on 500+ PDF files.  So, we're gonna use Quick PDF API to rename the fields ourselves & that will take care of our issues.   Adobe support is not reliable as evidently shown in Adobe Flash, Adobe Director, Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc.  Also, we asked Adobe about it's new could product & learned it cost $5,000 to $80,000 based on how the product is being used.  So forget it, we'll be sticking with Quick PDF which cost $500 & we'll just do the field renaming ourselves.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic