Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.NET Possibility?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .NET Possibility?
    Posted: 15 Feb 08 at 2:05PM
I see that there is a version of Delphi that supports .NET.  Is it possible to convert the library to a .NET ActiveX?  I don't know if it would be a complete re-write or just a re-compile.

I'm asking since I have an ASP.NET application.  One of my customers has a problem because they are running 64-bit Windows Server.  I think that a .NET native control will run fine under 64-bit, but the current ActiveX does not.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 08 at 6:31AM
Hi Jim!

I've this version you mean... BDS 2006 does it.
The version offers automatic convert-routines for the dpr-files to .NET...
I'll try it tomorrow and post my results here.

A nice weekend to all members here,
Ingo
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 08 at 1:30AM
Hi Jim!
It's not so easy as i had thought ;-)
After the quick "converting" i want to compile and got immediately the first errors in the modules... errors having to do with unsafe methodes and so on... I stopped immediately going on without enough konwledge ;-)
If you don't have much knowledge from both sides (win32delphi and .NET) you shouldn't try it.
Best regards,
Ingo

Jim Sullivan View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 08 at 8:49AM
OK, thanks for the attempt.  I'm seriously considering switching over to iTextSharp, but it doesn't print so I'd have to figure something out for the printing.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 08 at 9:09AM
Hi Jim!
I don't think that "printing" is a real problem for "pdf-workers". All will have pdf-readers installed and (for example) the adobe reader allows invisible printing via shell-syntax from the commandline...
br,
Ingo

Jim Sullivan View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 08 at 8:47PM

My application is ASP.NET, and it's designed to run on a company's intranet.  In some companies I can just deliver the PDF to the browser, which does work fine.

However, some of my customers want the printing to happen "behind the scenes".  So I need the server to be able to print.  In order to do that I'm using the printing functions of QuickPDF.  I can't really shell out to Acrobat Reader because of the volume, plus someone might be using the web server PC for something else.  Also, from a licensing perspective I don't think I'm allowed to run Acrobat Reader on the server.

Unless there's another way that I'm missing?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic