Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MergeFiles Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb46970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MergeFiles Problems
    Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 11:47PM
Hi,

Some time ago, I made a post about some problems that I had from merging PDFs when one of the PDFs was created with Acrobat 9.  I did some testing and I have some more information.

PDF "A" is an invoice that is created with either PDFCamp PDF printer or XFRX.  The invoice is text, line art, and a single logo.  It is one or two pages only and it does not utilize compression.

PDF "B" is a set of records that may range from 1 page to as many as 5000 pages.  The average is about 30 pages.  They are scanned; so, they are images.  In some instances, these PDFs are created by using the Acrobat PDF Printer.  Some PDFs are extracted from an electronic document system.

The problems result from two different situations.  One situation is the compression that is used for the scanned PDF.  Under Acrobat, Adaptive or JBIG2 compression seem to cause a problem, but CCITT4 is okay.  Under the Acrobat PDF Printer, there is a problem if object level compression is set to "Maximum" as opposed to "Tags Only." 

I created some test PDFs with both Acrobat 9 and the Acrobat 9 PDF Printer, with all of the default compression settings.  PDFs that had less than about 60 pages were not a problem with QuickPDF.MergeFiles.  Once I had more than about 60 pages, QuickPDF.MergeFiles produced a corrupted PDF.  However, files that are created in the field have problems with just about any page count.

The other situation that causes a problem is if the PDF is a container for other PDFs.  I believe these are PDFs that are extracted from a third-party document management system.  If I open the PDF in FoxIt's PDF viewer and look at the bookmark view, I can see a tree view, with different PDF filenames cascading under the main file.

After I merge the PDFs with QuickPDF, Acrobat displays the invoice pages fine, but all other pages are blank.  Also, when I try to view the blank pages, Acrobat reports that the dictionary is corrupt or missing.  I can open the PDF with QuickPDF.  However, if I try to move the invoice to later in the PDF, QuickPDF causes an access violation.

After I merge the PDFs, I can open the resulting PDF with FoxIt's PDF viewer and it displays the entire PDF fine.  From there, I can print the PDF to paper or to a PDF printer.  So, the pages are all intact.

Does QuickPDF have a problem merging PDFs if the two PDFs use different compression schemes or if one of the PDFs is a container for other PDFs?

David
bb46970 View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb46970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 10 at 11:50PM
P.S.

I tried FoxIt's PDF Editor to combine the same problem PDFs and it worked without a problem.
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 10 at 10:42AM
Hi David!

You did a good work and analysis.
This shouldn't be worthless.
You should post it to the technical support here:
http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/support/support-query.php

Cheers, Ingo

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic