Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Creating large files very slow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgcms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creating large files very slow
    Posted: 20 Nov 07 at 9:57PM
We use QuickPDF to generate laboratory reports.  On average, these run about 500 pages, but recently we've had a few large projects that resulted in 3000+ page reports.  Probably 2000 of these pages consist of embedded graphics.

The report generation seems to go by fairly quickly, considering the amount of data that needs to be pulled together and streamed over the network.  However, when we issue the QP.SaveToFile(FFileName) it takes another 30-40 minutes to actually create the file.  This is on a 4.2GHz Athlon 64 X2.  I don't have access to the sources, so I don't know what happens in the SaveToFile method, but I thought that the PDF was assembled in memory and that the SaveToFile routine just copied that data out to disk.  If this were the case, it should only take a couple of seconds at most (64MB file size).  Can somebody point me to what may be happening here, and is there anything I can do to speed this up?

Thanks
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 07 at 4:34PM
Hi!

Memory and time is often a problem working on big pdf files with quickpdf. It seems to me that in many code parts memory won't resetted ...

I'm using something like this:

QP := TiSEDQuickPDF.Create;
   try
       QP.UnlockKey('mycode');
       dafh := QP.DAOpenFile(edit,'');
       x    := QP.DAGetPageCount(dafh);
       STR  := '';

verztxt := edit + '.txt';
       AssignFile(cf,verztxt);
       Rewrite(cf);
       pc := 0;
       for i := 1 to x Do
       begin
          dapr := QP.DAFindPage(dafh,i);
          QP.CombineLayers;
          STR  := QP.DAExtractPageText(dafh,dapr,3);

WriteLn(cf,Trim(STR));

pc := pc + 1;
          if ( pc = 10 ) Then
             begin
                pc := 0;
                QP.DACloseFile(dafh);
                QP.Free;
                QP := TiSEDQuickPDF.Create;
                QP.UnlockKey('mycode');
                dafh := QP.DAOpenFile(edit,'');
              end; 
// . . .

This works fine on big files for textextraction - no problems anymore for me. After few pages i'm using "free" and then a new "creation" ... This needs only less time and avoid memory-exceptions for me.

Best regards,
Ingo
marian_pascalau View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 4:57AM
Hi Dave,
you should send a test sample to support(at)quickpdf.org.
mrgcms View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgcms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 1:53PM
Hi Marian,

Unfortunately, it's in the report generation that this occurs, after I've assembled the 3,000 pages in memory.  I'll put together a test app that uses a single graphics page that's repeated (I don't think QuickPDF is 'intelligent' enough to share these) and I'll see if it's still slow.  If so, I'll upload a test project. 

It's Thanksgiving over her now, so it may be Monday before I go back into the office and put this together.

Thanks
Michel_K17 View Drop Down
www.exp-systems.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michel_K17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 07 at 9:27AM
Things I would check:

RAM: How large if the final report (in MB) and how much memory is in your PC?. Might it be large enough that Windows has run out of room in it's RAM and having to rely on the PageFile as extra memory?

NETWORK: Is it significantly faster if you save on the local HD rather than over the network?

Happy Thanksgiving. Drove 12 hours on Wed so that I could do the family (in-laws) get-together last night... Ate too much. :)

Cheers!

Michel
mrgcms View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgcms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 07 at 1:33PM
Final report is only about 16MB

System has 1GB RAM and an Athlon 64 X2 4.2GHz system

I've just repeated with the file being saved to the local drive without any improvement in speed.

We're at end of year crunch right now, but I'm trying to find time to put together a test program that'll demonstrate this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic