Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most stable version?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santiago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most stable version?
    Posted: 01 Apr 06 at 3:48PM

Which is the most stable version of QuickPDF that you suggest using?

Thank you,
Santiago

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 2:21AM
Hi Santiago!
It depends on what you wanna do.
For some functions a 4.nn version is okay ;-)
I think you should use our 5.14 version - it's better than the original 5.11 version.
Best regards,
Ingo
TomKelleher View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomKelleher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 1:30PM

Folks,

I have essentially the same question. Let me enumerate the things I need the ActiveX version to do for me, in the VB6 application I'm writing. 

- provide a preview window for a PDF document
- allow users to to page forward and back
- allow users to perform standard Zoom operations
- allow sending the PDF document to the printer
- allow user to select "print all" or select specific pages to print
- NOT require any Adobe software on the user's machine

Which version would be best for me, to accomplish all this?  Stability and reliability are key concerns for me, too, of course.

- Tom

Michel_K17 View Drop Down
www.exp-systems.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michel_K17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 06 at 9:04AM
Tom,

v5.11 was the last, and best version from the manufacturer (iSed) before they disapeared. v5.14 that us users modified contains very simple bug fixes that typically modified one or two lines of code at a time to fix obvious errors. Therefore, I tend to agree with Ingo, and would recommend v5.14. Indeed, this is the version I use with my programs: PDF reDirect and PDF reDirect Pro. I have been happy with the stability of the program for PDF management when it comes to modifying PDF files such as combining or extracting pages, or changing properties such as locking and/ore encrypting a PDF file.

However, in what you are describing, which is mostly the viewing of a PDF file, I was sufficient unsatisfied with this library that I paid many dollars to purchase the library that is used by the FoxIt Reader which provides better performance and a more faithful reproduction of the PDF. I have provided some screenshot examples in a separate posting [here].

If you can live with the shortcomings of this library as a rendering engine, then you will find it to be perfectly acceptable. It should be reliable and stable, and will not require the Adobe software.

Cheers!

Michel
TomKelleher View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomKelleher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 06 at 12:29PM

Michel,

thanks much for the clarification!

I looked at FoxIt and found it wanting for my purposes.  The text in some parts of the PDF came out with every other letter raised a few pixels compared to its neighbors.  So reading every word, every sentence, was like following the bouncing ball.

My client changed their requirements (lightened them, actually) and we went with Adobe's PDF Reader itself. 

Thanks so much for the quick reply though.

- tom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic