Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a future for QuickPDF?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quickpdfdeveloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a future for QuickPDF?
    Posted: 19 Mar 17 at 8:26AM
Debenu's QuickPDF library used to get an annual update, and often minor bug fix releases along the way. But there haven't been any new releases for a while.

I paid for an annual subscription since that seemed to be the only way to continue on a royalty-free basis, but I'm wondering how worthwhile that is given the lack of updates.

Also, Foxit, the new owner, have their own PDF SDK -- which doesn't seem to be royalty free -- so I'm wondering if there's any future for QuickPDF or if it will be killed off in favor of Foxit's own product?
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 17 at 12:21PM
Rowan told me that QP won't die 'cause the Foxit-products are made for a higher price segment instead of QP for the low cost segment. But it's like it is ... the Debenu team are working inside Foxit and so it can be that QP runs beside.

Cheers and welcome here,
Ingo

Cheers,
Ingo

tfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 17 at 6:47PM
The interesting test, for Delphi users without source code, will be how soon the upcoming new Delphi 10.2 release gets supported.  Even before Foxit there was sometimes quite a long delay, though it usually arrived before we were ready to update the compiler.
ukobsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukobsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 17 at 3:49PM
Well, I fear it's a dead product now. Cry
We have paid subscription with support but every support question is simply ignored. If you ask them back some weeks later, they promise to have a look for it and only once I got a response.
It's my opinion, that they have no one that is able to maintain the code. The last support call was about a serious performance issue with named destinations. I sent them what to do to fix this issue but: no response since one month. Dead

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 17 at 5:05PM
Hi Uli :)

Debenu has developed the product together with a Czech developer team. Since a few months, the Debenu team (Karl, Rowan and Susanna) have taken over leading positions at Foxit.
I suspect that Debenu has now separated from the Czech developer team and the development of QuickPDF runs slowly down first.
Until some time ago, I had a few times contact to Rowan (via LinkedIn). For half a year there is nothing.
We have had this lack of support many years ago with the previous owner (Kevin Newman) of QuickPDF.
At that time, we joined together and continued the further development ourselves.
Let's see what moves through this thread now ;-)

Edited by Ingo - 23 Mar 17 at 5:08PM
Cheers,
Ingo

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 17 at 5:11PM
Hi Uli,

this is a support forum for users from users ;-)
... and here are source code owners, too.
So you could post your solution (regarding the performance issue) here? 

Cheers,
Ingo

ukobsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukobsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 17 at 8:51AM
Hi Ingo,

sure I can.  It is an issue that happens on documents with some thousands of named destinations. So open unit DebenuPDFLibraryNameTree source code from 13.11

on methods NumTreeLookup, NameTreeLookup and NumTreeSet there is a variable S declared and only filled with Names.Output, Nums.Output or Tree.Output. But this value is never used in remaining code. So I guess it is some kind of debug code that was accidentally left.

But creating this output costs a lot of run time when having a large number of named destinations. So just comment out the lines
S := Names.Output;
(NameTreeLookup)
S := Nums.Output;
(NumTreeLookup)
S := Tree.Output;
(NumTreeSet)

This small changes reduced the loading time from 12 minutes down to 2 minutes on a special large PDF.

Have a nice weekend!
Uli

rweetch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rweetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 17 at 1:55PM
this is a very disappointing future for an excellent product :-( 
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 17 at 6:23PM
If you're a programmer with a source licence it does not have to be the end ;-)

Cheers,
Ingo

lchudakov View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lchudakov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 17 at 9:31PM
We used to resell QuickPDF Library to Clarion developers since the iSed days. Most of the times developers would use just some small subset of the functionaity like silent PDF printing, form filling, inserting images in PDF. Zero licenses sold after QPL was aquired by FoxIt. Some time ago I recommended QPL to one Clarion developer but he was quoted $4000.00 per developer per year for the "External Use"
license. He needed just to include PDF signing in hus desktop application. This is just ridiculous. Looks like they just want to squeeze the last dime from a product which is not getting developed any more
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 17 at 9:49PM
When the Foxit takeover was started Rowan from Debenu told me that the Foxit sdk and QuickPDF are for a different kind of customer and so there will be a chance for both pdf sdks but now i begin to doubt,too :(
We'll wait and see...

Edited by Ingo - 30 Mar 17 at 8:30PM
Cheers,
Ingo

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 17 at 10:00PM
Originally posted by lchudakov lchudakov wrote:

Some time ago I recommended QPL to one Clarion developer but he was quoted $4000.00 per developer per year for the "External Use" license.

I have the same situation with Viewer. Formerly I was able to buy upgrades for Viewer, year by year.
I'm using it only for one small project which I selling for about 40 clients, which gives me about $6000 incomes per year, and for that currently I'm not able to buy upgrades for Viewer.

Currently I have old annual subscription for QPDF, but currently I do not see any updates, and I'm looking in a future, with small hope in my eyes.

Here you can find description how to test my examples:
http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2932&PID=12600&title=drawcapturedpagematrix-matrix-howto#12600
mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 17 at 10:05PM
Originally posted by Ingo Ingo wrote:

When the Foxit takeover was started Rowan from Debenu told me that the Foxit sdk and QuickPDF are for a different kind of customer

When first time I get email with commercial notes about Foxit PDF SDK I was intrested to take a closer look at the documentation.
And what I saw is that Foxit PDF SDK , It is not an interesting product for me as it contains far less possibilities in relation to QPDF + VIEWER.

I do not know maybe I read the documentation wrong, after all, I'm a self taught, so programming and English.

Regards,
mLipok

http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2932&PID=12600&title=drawcapturedpagematrix-matrix-howto#12600
lchudakov View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lchudakov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 17 at 6:50AM
For the viewer we've switched to the WPViewPDF from wpcubed
http://www.wpcubed.com/pdf/products/pdfviewer/ 
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 17 at 6:47PM
for a customer project i've inserted simple viewer functionality with the "normal" QuickPDF ... ;-)

Cheers,
Ingo

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 17 at 9:31PM
Do you use something like my _QPDF_Display()
 ?

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 17 at 9:45PM
Hi Michal,

no it's internal functionality with the properties and functions from the objects TMemoryStream and TBitmap. As well as the RenderPageToStream from QuickPDF.

Cheers,
Ingo

tfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 17 at 11:00PM
I have opened a support request asking for an estimate for when they will have Delphi 10.2 support. However I have also started contingency planning for not having the library available, especially since we cannot justify purchasing the source code.  Most of our applications involve rendering PDFs to image formats, and we are finding that the PDFium Component Suite from www.winsoft.sk does almost all of we need in this area (and some others).  Not nearly as comprehensive as QuickPDF, not as much documentation, but it is fast and accurate, as well as very affordable.  And of course the PDFium DLL which it uses originates from Foxit. Nevertheless if we see timely updates and support from Foxit for QuickPDF we are still likely to renew support at the end of the year.
tfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 17 at 10:50AM
Well, there's a surprise! Very pleased to see that 13.12 is out already with Delphi Tokyo support and a list of enhancements and fixes! That should answer some of the questions raised above.  Downloading now...
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 17 at 2:37PM
We've updated Quick PDF Library to include support for #delphi 10.2, #zugferd invoicing, and more. Learn more: https://t.co/6GflPKUnqK

I've got it from twitter :)

Edited by Ingo - 30 Mar 17 at 8:29PM
Cheers,
Ingo

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 17 at 11:00PM
http://www.debenu.com/blog/category/quick-pdf-library

Quick PDF Library 13.12 out now, featuring Delphi 10.2 Tokyo support basic ZUGFeRD features and a number of rendering improvements

Posted: 29 Mar 2017 10:23 PM PDT

:)

Humor mi się poprawił.
You can translate it from Polish :)

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 17 at 11:08PM
Originally posted by Ingo Ingo wrote:

Hi Michal,
no it's internal functionality with the properties and functions from the objects TMemoryStream and TBitmap. As well as the RenderPageToStream from QuickPDF.

In what sens you mean internal ?
Do you have source license for delphi, and you include it into your own version ?

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 17 at 7:50AM
To your two questions: Yes and No ;-)
I use RenderPageToStream and the other things are common functionalities you can use with any main ide.

Cheers,
Ingo

Wheeley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 17 at 8:16AM
In case anyone hasn't noticed, a new version of the library was released. Version 13.12.

ClapThumbs Up

Wheeley

mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 17 at 9:35AM
haha...
Here is it what I like we are talking like a community - not always about main topic :)

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 17 at 12:25PM
Cause even politicians are using twitter i've thought i should do it, too ;-)
I began to follow Debenu and nearly the next day i've got these fine message about 13.12  :)

Cheers,
Ingo

rweetch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rweetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 17 at 4:51PM
We use Gnostice for viewing. They are adding more and more features - perhaps there will soon be enough to switch... although the quick release of 13.12 is encouraging :-)

Edited by rweetch - 04 Apr 17 at 4:54PM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic