Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Get & Remove Text Directives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get & Remove Text Directives
    Posted: 13 Jan 06 at 11:07AM
Application A generates pdf files and can easily place special text tokens on each page. I am free to dictate that these text tokens start with a certain key word, use a certain font, a certain color, etc. Let's assume the text will always look like: #PDF_Directive:<action_request>#

Application B, using QuickPDF needs to grab the text directive from each page (each page can have a maximum of one such directive), use it, and ensure that the text directive doesn't show up in printouts (by removing the text or by making it invisible in print).

I'm looking for advice on the best way to implement this. Specifically:
* what would make the search for these text tokens easy: just the key word? special font size? location on page? what function(s) should I use for the search? are there any problems I should be aware of?

* how do I remove or hide the text tokens after I find them in the pdf?

Thanks,
- Ido
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 06 at 2:50PM
Hi Ido!
I would use one of the textextract-functions with option 3 (the csv-output). If i have the real text-content i will search for the textstring (in delphi with "pos"). 'Cause it#s the csv-output i have the coordinates if i've found the textstring. With this data i can use the drawbox-function to overprint the textarea.
Good luck and happy clicking,
Ingo
ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 06 at 3:13PM
Hi Ingo,

Thanks!

- Ido
ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 11:06AM
Using GetPageText(3) works perfectly with documents that are PDF Version 1.2 (Acrobat 3.x).

However, the csv information returned from documents that are PDF Version 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x) fails to return the full text content. It seems to return only the first 1 or 2 characters from each text object.

Is this a known issue? Any solution?

Many Thanks!
- Ido
swb1 View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 4:51PM

I am using GetPageText(3) in v1.3 docs with no issues at all. In fact, GetPageText(3) was the single most compelling reason for my purchase of QuickPDF.

How are your PDFs created? Can you post an example?

sb

Edited by swb1
ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 5:01PM
They are created through Crystal Reports.

The 1.2 (Acrobat 3) version is from Crystal 9. Here's a sample that works perfectly with GetPageText(3):
http://www.milletsoftware.com/Download/visual_cut_9.pdf

The 1.3 (Acrobat 4) version is from Crystal XI. Here's a sample that fails to return the full text with GetPageText(3):
http://www.milletsoftware.com/Download/visual_cut_11.pdf

Doing LoadFromFile(originalfile)... SaveToFile(workfile)... LoadFromFile(workfile)... to try to work around the problem doesn't make a difference. The GetPageText()still returns only the first 1-2 characters from each text object.

- Ido
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 06 at 1:37AM
Hi Ido!

I've test it, too.
Textextraction from ...cut_9.pdf is okay - textextraction from ...cut_11.pdf looks very funny :-(

In ...cut_11.pdf it seems to me that only the outlines of the text were displayed?

It doesn't matter if i resave the file or if i change pdf 1.3 back to 1.2 ...

Best regards,
Ingo
ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 06 at 10:46AM
From the other thread, we now know that trying to play with Layers doesn't fix the issue.

It's strange that the text is clearly there in the pdf, and the function finds it, but then it fails to recognize all of it.

Many thanks for the detective work...

- Ido
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic