Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick PDF Library on x64

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ondfisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick PDF Library on x64
    Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 11:04AM
I have an ASP.NET application written in C# which is deployed to a Windows Server 2008 x64.
I use the ActiveX Quick PDF Library C# wrapper for the application.
It all runs fine on my test machine (running the 32-bit developer server from Visual Studio 2008), but when I deploy it to the production server I get some strange error messages like:

Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: ptr

and

The type initializer for 'PdfComponents.PdfToImage' threw an exception.

Has anyone got the library to run in a x64 environment?

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 4:36PM
Hi!

There's no real problem working with a 32-bit-dll in an 64-bit-environment. The registration and home-directory (not system32!) is a bit different. Please use the search function (above in the menu here) with "64". There are already postings about this fact.

Cheers, Ingo
ondfisk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ondfisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 4:44PM
That sounds cool - I've tried to search for "64" in the forum - but it just gives me the error "One or more of your search criteria is below 3 characters" - x64 and 64-bit return no results - can you me anywhere?
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 5:34PM
Hi!

So what to do...? Changing your search could be good ;-)
Have a look here:
http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=624
http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=814&KW=bit
http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=735&KW=bit

Cheers, Ingo
ondfisk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ondfisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 09 at 4:23AM
Thanks for the update - I've already found those posts - but as it says in one of posts there's no 64-bit compiler for Delphi and I've tried the various settings in IIS7 - setting it to 32-bit a so on, but to no avail.
It seems I'll have to sit tight until a 64-bit compiler is released for Delphi.

Cheers, R
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 09 at 6:08AM
Hi!

There's no need to wait - you can use a fantastic free 64-bit-compiler ...
FreePascal (comes with a 32- and 64-bit version) in combination with Lazarus (for the delphi-feeling).

Cheers, Ingo
Jim Sullivan View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 09 at 11:01AM
That would be fantastic if someone could compile it.  Are the Debenu people here on the forum?  Could there be an official 64-bit release from them?

I have gotten IIS to run in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit server and the library (ActiveX version under ASP.NET) seems to work fine.

Edited by Jim Sullivan - 13 Apr 09 at 11:03AM
ondfisk View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ondfisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 09 at 3:46AM
Yep that would be great - I'll write to the Debenu guys right away.
murdochjr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdochjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 09 at 10:59PM
Hey,

I have quick PDF running on Windows Server 2008 without issue, using the the standard 32bit activeX DLL

Here is how:
- Open IIS Manager
- Click on "Application Pools"
- Click on the name of the application pool that is running the quick PDF website
- Click "Advanced Settings"
- Set "Enable 32-bit applications" to True

Done!

If you are not doing so already I find its best to run all sites under there own application pool.

Let me know how you get on.

Jim Sullivan View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Sullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 09 at 1:48PM

Doesn't that switch all of IIS into 32-bit mode?  I think that I tried that and then SQL Server Reporting Services stopped working, because that needed IIS to run in 64-bit mode.

Unfortunately I don't have my 64-bit server running right now.
murdochjr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdochjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 09 at 8:39PM
No, its set that application domain to allow 32-bit only, this is why you want to run each site in their own application domain, you would also want to run SQL Reporting Services in its own application domain.

If everything runs in the same application domain you run the risk on one site crashing / error taking down the entire application domain, hence all your sites.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic