Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future of QuickPDF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future of QuickPDF
    Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 2:42AM

Dear users of QuickPDF,

The support and development of QuickPDF (iSEDQuickPDF) slowed in 2004/2005 – since then, at quickpdf.org, we’ve been providing platform support, bug-fixing and further development for all.

We did this because we are also users of this fantastic library. We didn't want to see it die because there wasn't and isn't something comparable on the market with such an enormous amount of features.

We planned to maintain this more formally with our version, “PDF Squad”, however, simultaneously; Debenu came and bought the complete rights of the library from the original owner SEDTech (Kevin Newman).

They have great plans with "our" Quick PDF Library (QuickPDF) and we're very happy that this wonderful library is again in professional hands. Consequently, we have decided not to publish our library and instead to focus on our own products.

Karl De Abrew, CEO of Debenu, is the founder of Planet PDF, ARTS PDF and Nitro PDF – he loves it as much as we all do. He assures me that he will be making it his personal mission to see that the functionality will be always up to date (you all know how important this is when we’re talking about pdf-specs ;-)

Debenu will offer special upgrade prices for existing users of the library. In addition, a source license will be available soon (again, discounted for existing users). So don’t worry about the future -- give your trust to Debenu.

Lastly, we're going to be here at quickpdf.org doing the support here for at least another six month (perhaps more).

Don't forget: It's a forum by users and for users.

p.s. Karl mentioned that the quickpdf.org site will retain the same spirit and essence it has built over the past few years and he specifically asked me to give a special thanks to the entire quickpdf.org membership, especially those long-time members and moderators who have tirelessly devoted themselves to helping the QuickPDF community.

Kind regards,

Ingo Schmoekel and the whole team of www.QuickPDF.org
deabrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deabrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 10:18PM
Cheers and thank you Ingo.

Once again -- I'd like to put out my thanks to all members of the quickpdf.org community - especially those who've helped countless others with Quick PDF Library (aka quickpdf).

Kind regards,
Karl De Abrew
waynefulcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waynefulcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 09 at 9:24AM
I hope I am not doing the wrong thing here by asking these questions. If so please feel free to remove my post. I would like to know more about Debenu.
What will the new PDF component set be called?
Is there a website that I can keep track of the status of the new PDF component set?
Will there be a forum like this one were users can make feature request?

I have two requests, well one is a bug fix and the other is a new feature. I am willing to pay some money for the new feature and I am sure there will be other people / companies willing to pay for the development as well.

Thanks
Wayne Fulcher

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 09 at 9:38AM
Hi Wayne!

I think it's all said in this case?
This is the user forum and this will be the user forum.
Here you can find something about the QuickPDF-library:
http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/

Cheers, Ingo

Edited by Ingo - 04 Mar 09 at 9:38AM
deabrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deabrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 09 at 6:09PM
Hi Wayne,

1. You can find out more about Debenu here - htpp://www.debenu.com

2. The updated library is called Quick PDF Library

3. No change with the forum, as Ingo said, it's right here.

4. We also have a very responsive technical support team for more formal/private requests.

We will take bug reports, features requests, consulting requests for further development. In short, if you've got any sort of questions, send them through to http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/support/support-query.php and will get back to you within 24 hours.
Wheeley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 1:59AM
Wayne

The support staff at Quick PDF IS VERY responsive. I have had trouble with the beta and have had my questions either answered or at least an acknowledgment that they are looking into the problem. They seem very legit and I like you am scared of a repeat of iSED.

Wheeley
hbarclay View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbarclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 9:24AM
Originally posted by Wheeley Wheeley wrote:

Wayne

The support staff at Quick PDF IS VERY responsive. I have had trouble with the beta and have had my questions either answered or at least an acknowledgment that they are looking into the problem. They seem very legit and I like you am scared of a repeat of iSED.

Wheeley

I have had the same experience, and I can't begin to express how relieved I am about this development. We were on the verge of jumping ship to a different PDF library because of the legal limbo of the QuickPdf code. I feel like we dodged a bullet.

Harry

Scarlet7 View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 6:08PM
Hi Ingo,

I was wondering about the code base that Karl is working from - have you given him all of the updates that were done by members of this group or
he is only improving the code that he purchased from Kevin ?

I think we all need to know exactly what code base we can expect when we
upgrade with Karl. I haven't been able to ascertain this from any comments on this forum and I would think that this is a critical issue. If we upgrade, we don't want anything to break.

Thanks.

Michael

deabrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deabrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 6:19PM
I'll add a little pre-Ingo detail for you, in case it helps a little.

Of course we understand your concern, and can see why many others would feel the same way.

First up, we're working from a 7.12 code-base that was developed independently from what has been available in the quickpdf.org forum.

A few notes:
* We're keenly aware of this being an issue (forum vs our build) so we're working through the forum bugs and bugs to ensure that we're "compatible".
* It is difficult for us to just merge the code together because we need to be very careful about the legal implications of using code that was developed by a member of the forum.

Lastly, and most importantly, Ingo and our team are working together so whilst the first build might have some issues, you can expect this to become less in the coming months.

I'd invite you to try the 2nd beta right now (not yet published on our website)
http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/downloads/binaries/qp/quick_pdf_library_712beta2.exe

The changes you can expect in this 2nd update are:
* New AddU3DAnnotationFromFile function
* New RenderPageToDC function
* New DARenderPageToDC function
* Fixed MD5 hash length
* Combined reference guide
* Corrected TIFF in JPEG resolution divide by zero
* Improved EMF/WMF import

As I said, Ingo is really the one to answer this question. But I hope this helps in the meantime...
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 09 at 6:51AM
Hi All!

Our team has made/will made an agreement with Debenu.
You can trust Debenu in case of further developement and ongoing support of QuickPDF. I don't think that a second "case SEDTech" will happen ;-)

Cheers and a nice weekend for all!
Ingo
Michel_K17 View Drop Down
www.exp-systems.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michel_K17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 12:35AM
Hi,

The forum's home page has been updated here: www.quickpdf.org.

Like Ingo, I would like to reflect that I am happy that Karl and his team was not only willing to work with us, but that thanks to him, the library is back in the hands of professionals who will be able to spend more time than us developing this terrific library.

It is important that the library grows and becomes even more popular, so I would urge everyone to spread the word: QuickPDF is back!

Finally (and especially), I started this forum as an attempt to keep this library alive and as a minimum, have a place for us users to help each other out. In the process, I have made a whole bunch of friends and the efforts poured into the forum by all the volunteers far exceeded my expectations. Thank you to everyone that contributed.

Cheers!

Michel
Michel
cverhoff View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cverhoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 09 at 11:25PM
Ingo & Michel,

I personally want to say Thank You so much over the last 4 years. I have been developing software applications since 1992 and have used many development tools. QuickPDF has been the best find and tool I have ever used and if it wouldn't have been for the both of you this GREAT PRODUCT would of died. I know I would have given up on it. It's awesome to see that an organization like Debenu to step in to help keep this fine product/library alive. I really look forward to using new versions and developing more great software products with QuickPDF.

Thanks Again and I know I speak for many others when I say you two have done such a GREAT JOB and YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Thanks,

Curtis

Michel_K17 View Drop Down
www.exp-systems.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michel_K17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 09 at 11:40PM
Thank you Curtis, you are very kind. Smile

Let's not forget all of the wonderful contributors who allowed the library to grow, and to get bugs fixed over the years. Like you, I am very exited as well that Debenu has stepped in to bring this library back in the limelight.

Cheers!

Michel
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 09 at 7:10AM
Hi Curtis!

Thanks a lot from me, too.
Like Michel already said: We two (Michel and me) are nothing - a forum can't live for two users. All users together made this small forum to a success - so thanks to all of us ;-)

Cheers,
Ingo

I've a good feeling now that QuickPDF is in professional hands now and that the sad things happened in the past won't happen twice.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic