Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Convert a .DOC (Word) 2 PDF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convert a .DOC (Word) 2 PDF
    Posted: 07 Dec 05 at 12:40PM
On my site, I offer an upload option so that our teachers and students (we're an University) may upload .DOC files (Word) to our site.

These files are referent to their thesis.

As for receiving (uploading) these files, no problem at all. I'm very fluent with it. Thse files will end up on server side.

The thing is : I want to convert these files, SERVER SIDE, to PDF.

Has someone else ever had such need ?

What could I use to do it SERVER SIDE ?

chicks View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 05 at 3:09PM
http://www.activepdf.com/products/serverproducts/DocConverter/index.cfm
jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 05 at 8:09AM
Wow, very impressive and expensive !

Our exchange rate is about 2.5. So, that would cost us 325 x 2.5 = R$ 812.50 (Brazilian Reals). Guess we cant afford that !

Anything else ?
Stephen0838 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen0838 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 05 at 4:56PM

I have done some looking into this, You could do several things first word would need to be installed on the server. You can have word open then print the document to PDF. Then grab the PDF.

Another option that I have concidered is to open the document in word with a script then save to HTML, THen convert the HTML to PDF. My companys program already uses an HTML to PDF converter that uses a combo of ABCDrawHTML and ISEDQuickPDF.

http://www.websupergoo.com/products.htm

jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 05 at 5:02AM
Yes, I could use a Windows Scripting Host approach to open the Document in Word and then print it.

Another approach would be to open the Document in Open Office and then use its own button to convert to PDF. Cause it has such a button (newest version).

However, these approachs are cumbersome, I think. Because either Word or Open Office "think" that there's an user at the front of the server. And they may ask things about the printing. Then the script would have to answer these questions.

Also, another embarassing thing : several users may be doing the same thing at the same time.

For all of these reasons, a command line tools is way more convenient.

The product from ActivePDF, DocConverter, seems very good.

But very expensive too.

Maybe someone else knows a similar one, free. It may be for Linux/Unix too.

chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 05 at 11:35AM
This one's free, but I can't vouch for its quality:

http://doc2pdf.sourceforge.net/

It appears to use the free M$ Word viewer to "print" Word docs to PDF via GhostScript.
lchudakov View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lchudakov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 05 at 9:46PM

Check TX Text Control
http://www.textcontrol.com

You can  order this product thru us (http://www.klarisoft.com) with a discount.

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 05 at 2:14AM
Hi Ichudakov!

I can't believe what i've seen on your website:
KlariSoft is an official iSEDQuickPDF reseller and you can order control directly from us.
So i think YOU MUST have contact to the iSED-team?!
Perhaps you can make a contact for us with the iSED-team?
Do you support the product, too?

Cheers,
Ingo

jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 05 at 7:18AM
As for TX Text Control, it seems close to what I need, except that :

The language we work with, at server side, is not ActiveX compatible yet.

Next version will be the first one to support ActiveX.

Anyway, considering these :

- We already have two iSED Quick PDF licenses
- I shall upgrade soon to the next version of my language, with ActiveX support
- We only need .DOC to .PDF server side conversion.
- Very few files will be converted, at first.

What would be the price, after all ?

lchudakov View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lchudakov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 05 at 9:28AM

Hi Ingo,

Haven't heard from them since November last year.

lchudakov View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lchudakov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 05 at 9:33AM

Hi Jabaltie,

What language are you using? I don't think it matters for the server side applications. Send me email and I'll get you a quote for the TX Text control.

Leonid

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 05 at 5:15PM
... Haven't heard from them since November last year. ...

So you're no longer the software dealer for the iSED-team?
Cheers,
Ingo

lchudakov View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lchudakov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 05 at 5:28PM

Our discount ordering link still works so Clarion developers are ordering thru us. We provide Clairon prototypes and examples for them.

jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 05 at 5:01AM
Hi Ichudakov

I've sent you an email.

Anyway, for this discussion purposes, the language I work with is XBase++ from www.alaska-software.com.

It is a 32 bits Clipper compatible language. Way beyond Clipper, as a matter of fact.

All of our Intranet systems run upon it.

Have had some difficulties in the past to adapt iSed to it cause I had to be around its DLL version. And, the DLL version is somewhat limited.

But it works.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic