Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

7.17 doesn't render secured document

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANTAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7.17 doesn't render secured document
    Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 11:08AM
http://dantax.dk/test.pdf is a secured document without password. It renders flawlessly in Adobe Reader and PDF-XChange (Windows XP Prof.). The document's properties look normal, but it cannot be rendered with QuickPDF Library Demo or any VB6-code: LastError 404 wrong password. Nullpassword or spacepassword do not work.

Any idea? That would be great!

Shotgun Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 5:21PM

Did you use PDF XChange to encrypt the document?  I noticed the encryption was 40bit RC4 encryption type.

Viewing this in Acrobat 9 I see there is a permission password embedded in your file.  The odd thing is it doesn't ask for that password to change permissions/encrypt... which is why I ask what you used to perform the security.

I entered my own permissions password in your document and resaved with Acrobat and it now renders properly using the QuickPDF Tools Program.

Tom
DANTAX View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANTAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 10:45PM
Thank You! That takes me one step ahead.

The file is from an application called STOTAX that uses PDF-XChange for exporting tax declarations to PDF. We're going to export some 5000 documents pr. year, so I'm really interested in solving this problem.

You're writing, the file has a permissions password. That surprises me. I'm able to remove decryption manually using PDF-XChange Viewer, and I don't need a permissions password for that! Moreover, Adobe Reader 8 and PDF-XChange say that there is *no* permissions password in the file! After Your posting, I installed Adobe Reader 9.2 on another machine, and ... that program says there *is* a permissions password - just as You said!

Maybe there's something wrong in the way STOTAX produces the PDF. Within STOTAX, PDF-XChange options can be set and there, encryption is turned off! (No permissions password is set.) But the files produced are encrypted and possibly do contain a permissions password.

Does anybody have an idea how I can get rid of the encryption in these files? Quick PDF Decrypt fails.

Shotgun Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shotgun Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 11:08PM
Yes... I was surprised that I could access the permissions in your file and change it.  To change permissions or remove permissions normally you need the Permissions Password.  The whole purpose of encrypting and setting permissions is to protect the document from tampering.  In your file, anyone can access and change encryption without knowing the password.

If you don't want it protected, why are you encrypting in the first place?

It seems Stotax or PCX XChange holds the answer to your problem.

Tom
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 09 at 1:11PM
Hi Dantax!

Please send this pdf to the official support pages.
I've checked the document. You're right... rendering/preview should be possible.

Cheers, Ingo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic