Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Viewer SDK Notes and Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HNRSoftware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viewer SDK Notes and Experiences
    Posted: 12 Apr 14 at 5:47PM
I am experimenting with the Viewer SDK (v10.13  Delphi 6  Win7).  I would like to see if a thread can be built to share things we discover about using the SDK, both good and bad.  Even a post of "v10.13 DelphiXE5 Win8 - no problems" would be useful to know that others are using it, and it is working like it is (minimally) documented in some environment.

I enjoy interacting with the support staff, but that is not the only way to solve problems.  Specific "how do I do this?" problems belong on other threads, but non-obvious things that would be useful to communicate to other developers belong here.

Things that you have reasonably tested, but don't work as advertised need to be communicated to the developers, but posting a description of the problem here might save others from banging their heads against the wall.

If nobody else is interested, I may make a few posts then let the thread die. 

Howard
HNRSoftware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HNRSoftware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 14 at 5:53PM
(SDK v10.13  Delphi 6  Win7) -- OnKeyDown, OnMouseMove and OnPageChanged events not firing.  I get OnVScrollBarChanged, OnEnter and OnExit events.  I got a somewhat cryptic response from support about not being able to replicate the problem, but I'm not sure if this is the problem he was referring to.

Has anyone put in a event handler for any of these and had it work?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HNRSoftware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 14 at 6:04PM
(SDK v10.13  Delphi 6  Win7) -- Properties of LibraryPath, RendererPath and LibraryKey work somewhat sensibly at design time, but not at all at runtime.  First glitch I see is that changing values in these at design time sort-of gets a response in the Viewer control as a text message.  There is a definite lag in seeing the messages - if it has a good key and you put in a bad key, the Viewer doesn't object, but if I close delphi and open it again, the Viewer remarks about the bad key. Same with dll paths.

LibraryPath (and RendererPath) appear to want specific dll names rather than paths, and whatever is set at design time is what is used.  This will cause some definite weirdness in figuring out how to deploy an application, since the dlls would have to be in the precise same location.  I THINK that if you just specify the dll filename with no path, it will just expect the dlls in the same folder as the application.  I have tested a deployment to another system that seems to work this way.

Again, the same support response might be interpreted as him not seeing this problem.  Does anyone see anything other than what I am describing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HNRSoftware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 14 at 7:31PM
(SDK v10.13  Delphi 6  Win7) -- Something for the "Oh, WOW" department.  I use a seriously large pdf file for testing, and I keep getting blown away by how fast the Viewer control is.  It is extremely fast getting the first page up (well under 1 second once the file is in Windows disk cache).  That is good, but not "wow".  The "WOW" comes from jumping to the last page - page 300, which is also under 1 second!.  I couldn't imagine what was going on under the hood until I watched my CPU Usage gadget.  After page 1 was visible, the memory usage kept increasing for a couple of seconds until it appeared that I was using about 266Mb (at a pretty small screen size per page).  When the program terminated, the memory used number went back down to what it was before.  At a quite high zoom, I used around 700Mb of memory, but page moving and scrollbar moving were still very fast.  My mental picture of what is going on is that they are rendering the entire file to a HUGE bitmap and then copying parts out to the control as needed.  This appears to be going on as a background thread because the first page comes up so fast.  Amazing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic