Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with correct color rendering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anders_hg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with correct color rendering
    Posted: 11 Dec 06 at 7:49AM
Hello,
I have some problems with several PDF documents using the RenderDocumentToFile function. Darkblue text is rendered as light blue text. I have tried to render as bmp and jpg, and both do not render the file correctly. I have tried versions 4.42.1.1 and 5.14.1.1 without success. One example PDF was created with Adobe inDesign CS 2 (4.0.4), Adobe PDF Library 7.0, PDF version 1.3.

Does anyone know what I could do to solve this problem ?

best regards,
anders.
marian_pascalau View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 06 at 8:30AM
Anders, please provide DownloadURL to some PDF samples or send them per email at: quickpdf(at)gmx.net

Marian
JanVen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanVen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 3:00AM
The QuickPDF component has some issues with rendering the PDF files.

I use it ONLY to print some existing PDF files to a printer - and still looking for an alternative to the QuickPDF component (thats not too expensive) because I have more and more customers complaining about lousy prints - either the graphics is ripped away, or hole pages is missing.

And it seems its not a "focus point" on the ongoing development Cry

/Jan

JanN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 3:53AM
Jan

Depending on your software and the number of customers this could be an alternative solution for you:

http://www.glyphandcog.com/XpdfPrint.html

We are using this in our application. There are no serial numbers or activation needed for distribution. Support also is very good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 4:22AM
Hi JanVen,
I am sorry to see that you have problems. If you pay carefully attention on QuickPDF posts you will see that this library is far from finished. It leaks on a lot of features and it works with most standard and simple PDF documents but not with all. I have done a lot for PDF rendering (actually I am working only for PDF rendering) and I have been waiting for a lot of feedback from QuickPDF community (we are releasing v5.20 just because there is no more complaint on critical features (I have only 2x which are really new)).

Jan, please keep in mind that we are not fulltime QuickPDF developers. Without a (voluntary) financial support we are forced to continue working for other projects. If you need professional support you should follow the suggestion from JanN or consider (a voluntary option) supporting (with your knowledge or financial support) the development of new features.

Anyway for support we have created several email addresses where you can submit bug reports with attachments ([support(at)quickpdf.org] (in future the main support address) and [quickpdf(at)gmx.net]).

Please feel free to contact us there with details on your problem.
For printing problem we need:
    * original PDF file
    * image file which shows your problem (image rendering and printing should produce the same result).
For function problems we need:
    * original PDF file
    * code snippet where your problem occur (VB, VB.NET, C#, Delphi, C++).

Best regards,
Marian

Edited by marian_pascalau - 14 Dec 06 at 4:24AM
JanVen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanVen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 4:42AM
Hi

I know you all do it 4 free and if I had the choice, I would like to support you with an anual fee (like with every other software) - if it could help me, when I have problems.

I have previously used this forum, and send an example on a file with problems to SWB1 (06-03-31 in this forum)- but the conclusion was only "The PDF isn't handled correctly by QuickPDF" - and since nobody is paying for the development, the focus isn't here - I understand this - I got some sparetime too I want to use for something else :-)

But you're right - I haven't submitted a bug report, because as I understand the focus on this component is to create PDF files, not print existing - and for that purpose its 100 % okay.

So I don't think I'll bother anybody with this error, just conclude "its there" and look for another solution.

/Jan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 7:20AM

Jan, regarding the focus of development you are terribly wrong. My main concern is exactly the rendering but I am kind of lucky because my program is used with old version of PDF standards.

Anyway, if you support us or not you should submit your bug report. This will help me in collecting all necessary feedback on "wicked" poins of this library. I am dealing with such problems myself but I am kind of ignoring them as much as it's possible.

Best regards,
Marian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 7:24AM
And regarding you demo problem you should send this file to me as well. You will see if it could help you with your problem (you have nothing to loose).

I repeat: support(at)quickpdf.org and quickpdf(at)gmx.net. Please use both addresses at the moment because the forwarding for support(at)quickpdf.org was never tested.

/Marian
chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 06 at 11:25AM
Originally posted by JanVen JanVen wrote:

The QuickPDF component has some issues with rendering the PDF files.

I use it ONLY to print some existing PDF files to a printer - and still looking for an alternative to the QuickPDF component (thats not too expensive) because I have more and more customers complaining about lousy prints - either the graphics is ripped away, or hole pages is missing.

How about free? Adobe Reader is still the ONLY component I've found that renders PDFs the way you expect them to render. It has two programmatic interfaces, the ancient but reliable DDE interface, and the new (as of Reader 7) OLE/COM interface, both of which can be used to print PDFs.

Since Reader is nearly universally installed, it's an easy choice for me. There are some usage examples for both the DDE and OLE interfaces here:

http://www.esnips.com/web/PDFTools
JanVen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanVen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 06 at 3:07AM
Hi

I'll give it a try and send the 2 examples of PDF files I got from my customers - I still like QuickPDF and I'll stick with it, if I can

/Jan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 06 at 6:04AM
Jan, I have received your files. I will get back to you as soon as I have some results.

/Marian
JanVen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanVen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 06 at 6:07AM
Don't get stressed about this subject - my customers has been used to this for 1½ years now, so take the time you need.

In this christmas time, we need to take the time with the one we love instead.

And of course I lie about it, I'm a nerd too Smile

/Jan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 4:48AM
Hi Anders, please keep an eye on this tread. I have not forgotten you. It just happened to be that the problem you mentioned looks a little bit triky to me.

Stay tuned for updates. I believe that till 1.1.2007 I will have an aswer for you.

Best regards, Marian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 4:58AM
Hi Jan,
I have some feedback for you. You have send me 3 documents. I have some info/questions about them:

1. For the first document (1025-580013.pdf) I see not problem. Can you please explain what is it wrong there.

2. For the second document (Dynatrans MPV-A.pdf) I was not able to see anything else other that some kind of logo (top-left). If this is the only problem I believe I know the solution. Just go to GetContents nested function in unit uPDFRenderer.pas and change the following line of code:

insife the "for each contents array elements" if "content item is PDFStream" change the line:

<<<begin>>>
    Result := Result + TPDFStream(OO).DecodeStream;
<<<end>>>

to:

<<<begin>>>
    if X = 0 then
        Result := TPDFStream(OO).DecodeStream
    else
        Result := Result + ' '{space here!!!} + TPDFStream(OO).DecodeStream;
<<<end>>>

Edited by marian_pascalau - 18 Dec 06 at 7:42AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 5:07AM
for the 3'rd document (Noporex dosering og Datablad.pdf) I am not able to see your image from the first page. Well this is a problem with a specific kind of encoded images (with JBIG2Decode filter). The problem is that the sourcecode ignore this type of image despite the fact that it seems to be a simple monochrome bitmap as specified in the PDF documentation.

Well, the only explanation of this problem may be the fact that this type of image is not supported by Windows Gdiplus which QuickPDF library uses in image rendering (For details search for JBIG2Decode inside uPDFImageDecoder.pas and you will se something like:
if FFilter <> '[ JBIG2Decode ]').

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 6:51AM

Jan,

Your see, when I begun releasing source code updates some of our community members where not so happy with my new design. It took me a lot of time to make this source code more visible to me and take control over it's implementation (rendering).

The problem is that the old source code failed on the path to it's next level and needed some sorts of redesign.  Despite the fact that this project expose a huge amount of valuable information it fails quite often an really small things a situation more than unpleasant (I have identified a lot of strange situations and fixed a lot of errors in seconds for bugs which took me days to understand).

At the moment I am trying to find support for a small investment in studying the PDF specification. With each bug resolved I need to go much too deep in theory and this costs me too much time.  

Jan, I do believe that with some sort of support it is possible to make this library better and  useful for all of us.  If you really believe the same you can count on me.

Best regards,

Marian

Edited by marian_pascalau - 18 Dec 06 at 7:05AM
JanVen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanVen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 7:28AM
Hi

Thanks for testing

1. I try to PRINT it from VB6 - and get as soon as I try to QP.PrintDocument, I get a Range Check Error

2. Try to open it with Adobe Reader - then you'll see the full content, 'cause when you use QickPDF, it goes wrong

3. Cry

/Jan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 7:46AM
Jan,
1. I will check today. But I have reasons to believe that it will work with v5.20.

2. Can you compile your own QuickPDF library? If yes you should apply this change (see my previous post):
<<<begin>>>
    if X = 0 then
        Result := TPDFStream(OO).DecodeStream
    else
        Result := Result + ' '{space here!!!} + TPDFStream(OO).DecodeStream;
<<<end>>>

3. It will take some time to find what JBIG2Decode really is.

Cheers, Marian
PDFman View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDFman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 9:38AM

About JBIG2:

The final committee draft can be downloaded as PDF (1151 kbytes). This is the last version that can be made available without charge by the JBIG committee. The current status of the document is that the final draft of the International Standard has been approved, and the document will soon be made available as an International Standard, IS 14492 (available from your national standards body). A press release with further details is available here.

Here is a Sourceforge project under development to implement the JBIG2 standard:

jbig2dec

anders_hg View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anders_hg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 06 at 12:50PM
Thank you marian, I will. I am very thankful for the great job you are doing!

Have a merry xmas and a happy new years!

Edited by anders_hg - 18 Dec 06 at 12:51PM
JanVen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanVen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 06 at 1:35AM
Hi

A little hard to compile, since I don't have the source code - and I'm using VB (VB6/VB.NET) so its not so obvious for me to by it :-)

But I look forward to version 5.20 - I just tried 5.14 and it made no difference.

And Marian - thanks for the answers and for the great work you're doing Smile
hbarclay View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbarclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 06 at 6:11PM
Originally posted by chicks chicks wrote:

How about free? Adobe Reader is still the ONLY component I've found that renders PDFs the way you expect them to render. It has two programmatic interfaces, the ancient but reliable DDE interface, and the new (as of Reader 7) OLE/COM interface, both of which can be used to print PDFs.

Since Reader is nearly universally installed, it's an easy choice for me. There are some usage examples for both the DDE and OLE interfaces here:

http://www.esnips.com/web/PDFTools

I've just about given up on using Quickpdf for rendering. It is great at creating and manipulating, but I just think it has too many problems to be overcome in rendering without a real commercial enterprise footing the bill for development.

I've posted code in the samples forum that attempts to duplicate your pdfp program in Delphi without the need to shell out, I would appreciate any help you could give me with that.

Thanks
Harry

chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 06 at 11:27PM
Wish I could help, but I've never really used Delphi (attempted it once without much success).

I should note that using Reader for printing high volumes of PDFs isn't a very good option, since it doesn't have a commandline interface, and any errors pop up dialog boxes.

A couple of other solutions, in order from "best" to "worst":

1. Get a printer with "Direct PDF Printing" capability. The new HP laser printers with network interfaces have this at around $900 list price.

2. Use a Postscript printer, and convert the PDF to Postscript using the (free) pdftops tool (part of XPDF). Send the resulting postscript to the printer using lpr, rawprint, printfile, or the Windows API. Printfile lets you do things like n-up and borders - it's old, but still cool.

3. Use Ghostscript. It's huge, kinda clunky, but it usually does the job. Still doesn't render as well as Reader, though.
hbarclay View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbarclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 06 at 10:01AM

Wish I could help, but I've never really used Delphi (attempted it once without much success).

I should note that using Reader for printing high volumes of PDFs isn't a very good option, since it doesn't have a commandline interface, and any errors pop up dialog boxes.

I'm curious about what you consider "high volume". In our application a user will normally have to print a set of documents that is anywhere from 20 to 30 pages. They have to do this several times per hour.  Normally we don't want them exposed to any pop ups, but if it is to deal with a problem (out of paper or toner for example) that is not such a bad thing.

Our real problem at this point is more a matter of perception. For years we just printed pcl5 documents using passthrough and all was well. However the customers were insistent that they had to be able to preview the documents before printing and the best option for doing that was to switch to acrobat format and use reader to display. If they just print the document from Reader they can see that it prints very fast on most all Laserjet printers, but if they print from our application using Quickpdf rendering it is much slower. Printing a set of documents using Quickpdf rendering takes just over 5 minutes on an HP 4250. Even customers with older Laserjets can print reasonably fast using Adobe, but it is very slow using Quickpdf. It would be much easier to explain to them that they needed to spend another $900 per branch if they could not see that printing from Acrobat is not an issue on their existing printer.

Thanks
Harry

chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 06 at 2:06PM
I should have qualified the statement - Reader isn't at all suitable for unattended printing, e.g. from a server. It's ideally suited for attended printing from a workstation, and will easily handle the volumes you're talking about.

If you're printing hundreds of invoices each day, for example, you won't want to do it from a workstation. That's where the printers with direct pdf printing will ensure highly reliable printing.

BTW, Reader 7 & 8 now have an ActiveX control that allows you to visually embed Reader in your application for previewing. You can also print from this control, although you would need to use the print method that pops up a print dialog to use other than the default printer.

Edited by chicks - 21 Dec 06 at 2:48PM
hbarclay View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbarclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 06 at 4:33PM

BTW, Reader 7 & 8 now have an ActiveX control that allows you to visually embed Reader in your application for previewing. You can also print from this control, although you would need to use the print method that pops up a print dialog to use other than the default printer.

That is what we have been using to display the documents, and it is that control that got us in trouble. They could see how fast it printed from that and how slow it was when we used Quickpdf to do it directly. I spent a good deal of time trying to make that control print without the dialog box, but we do need to use different printers so it just wouldn't work, or at least I never figured out how to make it work.

So far it looks like the DDE solution is going to work even better than I expected, so all I have to worry about is how long Adobe is going to make that available in future versions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 07 at 5:49AM
JanVen, if you take the last version of QuickPDF library it should work for you as well. There was a problem processing old license keys but it is corrected now. If you take the last version you should have no problems other than JBIG2 image format docoding from the third document you have sent to me. The other 2x must work now.

Please give it another try and tell us if it works,
Best Regards, Marian
JanVen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanVen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 07 at 6:27AM
Cry 

At least I'm now back to version 5.14 status, since something is coming out - but not the correct print.

Or to be correct - 1/3 of my problems is solved, since the file "1025-580013.pdf" is now correct, but the two other files is still bad.

The "Dynatrans MPV-A.PDF" only have a logo in upper left corner and the "Neporex dosering og datablad.pdf" still haven't the large image on the front page - but the last error is OK, since it isn't supported in the GDI component, so I understand why it can't be fixed

Its version 5.21.0.1 I'm using

/Jan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 07 at 7:24AM

Sorry about that. We will try with some debug dll. Stay tuned till then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian_pascalau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 07 at 4:30AM
Anders, sorry for this huge delay but as you see I have not forgotten you. You were asking why the colors in your document are not properly rendered with QuickPDF library.

Well, it cost me some time but I believe to know your problem. The problem with colors is caused by the color scheme in your document. You are using a CMYK color space which does not convert nice in QuickPDF to RGB (screen) colors. It took me some time to understand this situation but it seems that conform to the standard conversion formula between CMYK and RGB the QuickPDF shows the right color. What Adobe and other program does is to use a ICC color scheme to map more precisely CMYK colors.

For a proper solution consider sponsoring or contact a specialist in color scheme problems.

Best regards, Marian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic