Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Merge Files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtjtjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Merge Files
    Posted: 26 Feb 06 at 1:16AM
I've got 37 PDF files (approximately 33 MB) that I want to merge into one PDF. (They are 37 separate chapters of the same reference manual.)

I was originally planning on using MergeFileList, but am thinking differently after reading http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=296&PN=1 .

In the post, if I'm understanding it correctly, it mentions that the problem is avoided if you capture and impose the files. I've searched the help files and know how to capture a file, but am unsure about the imposition stuff.

Could anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Or, does anyone know if this has already been fixed?

Thanks!

jt
jtjtjt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtjtjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 06 at 5:06AM
I guess I should have tried it first :) I had some problems with MergeFileList. It took 50% cpu and never created an output file. I let it run for about 15 minutes.

I then changed MergeFileList to MergeFileListFast (that's the only change) it worked perfectly.

Anyhow, the size of the 37 totals? 34,885,019 bytes.
The new merged file? 34,507,077 bytes.

Hope this is helpful to someone else out there :)

jt
jtjtjt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtjtjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 06 at 5:21AM
This is weird. I didn't know that the merge file stuff would merge the files in the opposite order they were added with the addtofilelist function, so I changed my source
code to call the files in reverse.

Anyhow, after running this new program the resulting file was 38,985,548 bytes. I ran the old program again and the file came to 38,774,197 bytes.

It's not a huge jump, but I am curious as to to increase, and as to why there is a 211,351 byte difference depending on the order in which the files were added to the list.

Thanks again!

jt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic