Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

characters using MBCS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tullhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: characters using MBCS
    Posted: 24 Jun 21 at 12:56AM
I'm using MBCS in MFC C++.    When I am ready to pass the string to Debenu, I use

LPCWSTR CString2Wide(CString s)
{
_bstr_t bs = s;
return (wchar_t*)bs;
}

So, a call looks something like:

pPDF->DrawText(160, 100, CString2Wide(MyTitle)); 

All this works fine for plain English strings.   Now I want to support German, French, and Spanish.
So, just umlauts and accents.  This can all be done in MBCS (in theory) with no need to go to UNICODE.
I want to avoid UNICODE for now.

Now when I pass it a German string like:  ist für alle

It shows up in the PDF like this: ist für alle

How can I fix this?  Thanks if you can help.  Don't tell me to use UNICODE.

tfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 21 at 10:30AM
I can't avoid "telling you not to use Unicode", because you are already using Unicode in your MBCS.

You may think that "ist für alle" is in Windows (USA) default encoding. If it was in default encoding, it would contain the bytes:

69 73 74 20 66 FC 72 20 61 6C 6C 65 
    i  s  t    f   ü  r     a  l  l  e
But what you are passing to your CString2Wide function is in a Multibyte Character Set (MBCS) encoding of Unicode, UTF8:

69 73 74 20 66 C3 BC 72 20 61 6C 6C 65 
    i  s  t    f    ü    r     a  l  l  e

When you simply 'cast' this to a Wide String, the program assumes that it is default encoding, so interprets it as such:

69 73 74 20 66 C3 BC 72 20 61 6C 6C 65 
    i  s  t    f   Ã  ¼  r     a  l  l  e
And this becomes, as a Wide String:

0069 0073 0074 0020 0066 00C3 00BC 0072 0020 0061 006C 006C 0065 
     i    s    t         f    à   ¼    r         a    l    l    e

To fix this in your program and continue to use MBCS elsewhere, I suggest converting your MBCS (UTF8) string to WideChars (UTF16) using MultiByteToWideChar, using CP_UTF8 as the first parameter.  The method you have used works only for ASCII, as you have found.  You will find plenty of examples for MultibyteToWideChar; since it takes an input and an output buffer as parameters, it is easiest to use inline, not as a function.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic