Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wierd Printing Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wierd Printing Problem
    Posted: 10 Apr 06 at 9:53AM
Hi Group,

Stumbling from one problem to the next... ;-)

I have created a PDF Form with iSED.

However, now I cannot print it. I have tried with Adobe PDF Reader, Acrobat, Browser etc to no avail.

I can print other docs ok but not this one.

If anyone could offer a pointer to what the problem might be, it would be appreciated.

Was hoping I could attach the document here but can't seem to be able to do that. Will send if anyone can help.

Cheers,
Mark Bailey
swb1 View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 06 at 10:17AM

Can you render the document to a Bitmap? Printing and rendering use many of the same routines. If you can render that would help narrow down the potential causes.

sb
mbailey View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 06 at 10:30AM
Hi sb,

In Adobe Reader, if I print to file it gives me the same error...

"The Document could not be printed"

Is that what you mean?

If not, how would you suggest I try and render to a bitmap?

Cheers,
Mark
swb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 06 at 10:42AM

I was going to suggest “RenderDocumentToFile”, however.. Adobe won’t print it? That *IS* weird! Are you saying that Adobe displays it ok but won’t print it? I’m stumped. I suppose you could still try RenderDocumentToFile” and see if you get anything on the output side.

Please send me a copy pdfguy[at]dashdev[dot]com I would like to run through the debugger and see where fails.

Regards,

sb

mbailey View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 06 at 5:50PM
Hi swb1,

I have sent you the file privately.

Could you please advise what tool you use to debug a pdf file?

Cheers.
Mark
mbailey View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 06 at 2:04AM

Hi swb1,

I have tried to output the file with RenderToFile as a bmp and that works ok.

I have checked the Securty Info on the file and it says that Printing is Fully Allowed.

I have Form Fields in the Document when I save it. Not sure if that might be causing a problem. Is there any way I can check?

I have tried setting encrypting the file with permission - Can Print to no avail.

I have set all created Form Fields to Printable with SetFormFieldPrintable. Still no go.

Running out of ideas here. :-/

Cheers,

Mark Bailey

swb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 06 at 8:18AM

Mark,

To clarify, (for anyone else reading this)  your document won’t print with Adobe Reader. It does, in fact, print through QuickPDF.

One of the key differences between the two is that QuickPDF uses GDI+ to render the document to a DIB then sends the DIB to the print queue. Adobe typically sends the print job as a postscript file. Which is why QuickPDF Print jobs are 10x the size of the same print job through Adobe.

That does not necessarily explain your problem because even when I set Adobe to “print as image” it still does not like your document.

The only thing I can suggest is to try removing elements from your document until it works. Then start adding things back in until it stops working. You may gain some clues about what is happening.

Regards,

Steve
mbailey View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 06 at 11:50PM

Hmmmmm....

Thanx for that swb1. Not really what I wanted to hear. :-/

I have in the meantime found a nice FREE PDF viewer that serves my purpose.

http://www.bravaviewer.com/reader.htm

It does not seem to be prepared to recognise the form fields but does print the document which is what I was after.

Another nice feature is that it can be used as an ActiveX control also with a nice list of Methods and Properties.

Thanx again for your help.

I would still be interested in what you use to "debug" a PDF file please.

Cheers,

Mark Bailey

swb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 06 at 10:31AM

I would not call it debugging a PDF,,, I do a number of things:

One thing I’ve done is to create a simple Delphi project that includes all of the QuickPDF source files. This makes it easy to step through  the code and see how QuickPDF handles various circumstances.

Another thing I do is decompressing the PDF and then view it with a good text editor (I use slick-edit). The non-stream elements of an uncompressed PDF are human readable as text although the specification is somewhat cryptic and frequently requires that I have the PDF specification handy as reference. I am relatively new to the PDF spec, however it is getting easier with practice.

sb

chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 06 at 11:15AM
A couple of indispensable freebie tools for your PDF toolkit:

PDFView - Look at the internal structure of a PDF in a tree view.

http://www.codeproject.com/tools/pdfview.asp

pdftk - The "swiss army knife" PDF tool

pdftk    http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/
swb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 06 at 2:51PM

Good stuff chicks (as usual). I already had pdftk but I was unaware of pdfview It does make looking at the guts of a PDF a little less of an eye strain.

Thanks

sb

occ1999 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occ1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 08 at 4:53AM
I'm having the same printing problem with .pdf files.
Called our work helpdesk - and they didn't even know how to fix this.
I think it might be the version I'm using, but I don't want to mess up anything at work by deleting the software and reinstalling an earlier version to see if that IS the problem.
If I figure this one out- you will know about it.
Good luck
occ1999 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occ1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 08 at 2:27PM
You must delete all old adobe software from computer and reinstall
a new one.
it worked!

Edited by occ1999 - 08 May 08 at 2:28PM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic