Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GetPageText() problem with Acrobat 4.x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GetPageText() problem with Acrobat 4.x
    Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 11:41AM
By mistake, I posted this as a follow-up on a previous thread. I figured I should start a new threat with it:

Using GetPageText(3) works perfectly with documents that are PDF Version 1.2 (Acrobat 3.x).

However, the csv information returned from documents that are PDF Version 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x) fails to return the full text content. It seems to return only the first 1 or 2 characters from each text object.

Is this a known issue? Any solution?

Many Thanks!
- Ido
ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 3:53PM
By the way, using the SaveToFile / LoadFromFile approach (that was suggested in an earlier thread describing a similar problem) doesn't fix the issue for me.

- Ido
swb1 View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 4:55PM

Posted in the other thread as well...

I am using GetPageText(3) in v1.3 docs with no issues at all. In fact, GetPageText(3) was the single most compelling reason for my purchase of QuickPDF.

How are your PDFs created? Can you post an example?

sb

ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 5:05PM
They are created through Crystal Reports.

The 1.2 (Acrobat 3) version is from Crystal 9. Here's a sample that works perfectly with GetPageText(3):
http://www.milletsoftware.com/Download/visual_cut_9.pdf

The 1.3 (Acrobat 4) version is from Crystal XI. Here's a sample that fails to return the full text with GetPageText(3):
http://www.milletsoftware.com/Download/visual_cut_11.pdf

Doing LoadFromFile(originalfile)... SaveToFile(workfile)... LoadFromFile(workfile)... to try to work around the problem doesn't make a difference. The GetPageText()still returns only the first 1-2 characters from each text object.

- Ido
swb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 6:00PM

I am getting the same results as you. Sometimes the first letter and sometimes no text at all. I am however getting the proper bounding rectangle of the text.

This problem likely has more to do with the file creation utility than with fact that it is v1.3.  

I’m sorry that I do not have more to offer.

sb
ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 6:07PM
Thanks for the confirmation - at least I know I'm not dreaming... :o)

- Ido
DELBEKE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DELBEKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 06 at 12:56AM

I have also got some problems with this function, not the sames, but try these

http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=264&PN=1

swb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 06 at 10:02AM

This Code...

quickPDF.SplitPageText(0);
 While quickPDF.LayerCount > 1 do
   begin
   quickPDF.SelectLayer(1);
   quickPDF.DeleteLayer;
   end;
  Memo1.Lines.Text := quickPDF.GetPageText( 3 );

...gives the same results as before - only a few of the first characters.

Edited by swb1
ixm7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ixm7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 06 at 10:45AM
Thanks! So we know that trying to play with Layers doesn't fix the issue.

It's strange that the text is clearly there in the pdf, and the function finds it, but then it fails to recognize all of it.

Many thanks for the detective work...

- Ido
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic