Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Web located PDF File not loaded

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Web located PDF File not loaded
    Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 3:09PM
Hello,
I tried to open a web located file direct with this code.

Dim result As Boolean = CBool(QP.UnlockKey(LicenseKey))
        If result = True Then
            Dim pdf_vorlage As String = "complete link to the file"
            QP.LoadFromFile(pdf_vorlage, String.Empty)
            Dim loaded As Boolean = QP.LoadFromFile(pdf_vorlage, String.Empty)
            Dim err_code As Long = QP.LastErrorCode
        End If

Loaded returns 'false' and err_code =0.
Later I tried the direct asccess functionality, but without success. Loaded gives "false" and err_code=411 (file not found) ???

Can anybody help?

Kind regards Tom
tfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 4:25PM
LoadFromFile means 'load from a file on your local machine or network'.  In other words, the filename must start with a drive letter or with "\\servername".  To view a web file identified with a URL, you must first download it to to one of these locations, typically using http or ftp protocol, then open it with LoadFromFile.
zero_g View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 7:44PM
I want to avoid the download of each file, because I want to load a number of files from its web location and read some file informations. Is there really no chance to load directly from the web?

kind regards
Tom
tfrost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 12 at 8:16PM
Somehow, all the bits in the document have to be moved from Timbuktu, or wherever the webserver is, into your program on your machine which is going to read the document.  Even if there was a means to 'load from the web location' this would still be happening.  If you don't want to save the document file on your local disk, that's fine, but you then have to have your FTP client download and create an in-memory stream and then use LoadFromStream instead of LoadFromFile.  Never having used Visual Basic I have no idea whether it has these capabilities, however, which is why I suggested a file transfer.  In Delphi, I would probably just use an FTP component to download the file into a MemoryStream object and load QP from that.
zero_g View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 12 at 9:53AM
yes, I see. In the meantime I developed a small codesample with download functionalit->reading the requested Informations from the files->delete the files.

kind regards
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic