Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem Imposing Cropped Pages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem Imposing Cropped Pages
    Posted: 02 Nov 05 at 3:54PM

I have a large blank one-page document, and a smaller one-page document which is a PDF that was cropped and saved using QuickPDF 4.11.

I'm trying to impose the cropped portion of the latter onto the blank document using the normal method, i.e. MergeDocument, CapturePage, and DrawCapturedPage.  However, I'm finding that the cropping survives only through the merging step.  As soon as it's captured and drawn, the cropping goes away and the entire second document page is pasted onto the blank page, not just the part included in the crop.

Does anyone know if it's possible to impose only the cropped part of a cropped page; or better yet, to save the cropped part of the cropped page as a complete PDF page, where the cropped-out part is gone and no longer takes up disk space?  Thanks.

Edited by PhilG
PhilG
chicks View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 05 at 5:57PM
Use CapturePageEx(page, 1) to capture only the cropped portion of the page.
PhilG View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 05 at 12:28PM

Thanks, chicks.  I'm now using CapturePageEx in the imposition.  Now when I open the new document, the pasted image is still cropped, as desired.

Unfortunately, the cropped-out portion is still present in the document and rears its ugly head when I print the document.  When I do the PrintDocument command, it prints with all the cropped-out part of the imposed documents included.

Actually, I really am required to save the cropped PDFs as whole new PDFs with the cropped-out portion gone (before imposition later), in order to save disk space and to eliminate the danger of the cropped-out portion showing up later.  Does anyone know of a way to do that with QuickPDF, or would that require a different tool?  I'm using QuickPDF 4.41.  I mistakenly said 4.11 earlier.  Thanks.

Edited by PhilG
PhilG
chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 05 at 8:30PM
Yeah, looks like QuickPDF's print routines don't properly consider the crop box.

I put together a couple of examples, both of whose output PDFs look identical in Reader, but with the following differences. Both take the same imposed (2-up) document, and unimpose it (double pages are placed on two individual pages).

http://www.geocities.com/sea_sbs/files/unimpose.zip

1. unimpose1.vbs takes the input doc, clones the pages after page 1, then simply sets the crop box for left and right pages. It then shuffles the pages into the correct order. Simple, fast, will print fine in Reader (with the right settings), but pages are half-size, and won't print correctly with QuickPDF.

2. unimpose2.vbs takes the same input doc, and appends another copy to it. It then crops and captures all pages after page one, then draws them onto landscape pages, and rotates the pages to portrait. Pages are full-size, and will print correctly with QuickPDF (and Reader, of course). However, the PDF is twice the size of version 1, and the script runs much more slowly.

It would be nice if you could combine the two, cloning instead of merging, but once a page is captured, it and any clones are removed from the document. So, I had to use the much slower merge process. If you're just wanting to use each page once, however (not unimposing), the second method should result in a PDF that will print correctly in QuickPDF.

Edited by chicks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic