Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dynamic Graphics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynamic Graphics
    Posted: 04 Mar 06 at 7:25AM
I already use QuickPDF, very successfully indeed, to generate PDFs from templates with empty form fields. I can also add dynamic images, such as an employee's photo as well as barcodes (employee enrollment number for instance).

But now I want to generate dynamic graphs, on the fly, and add them to the PDF. Say that I want to add a sales per region graph to this employee PDF. I have the data at hand, just dont know what I can use to generate a graph (a JPG file) with this data.

In other words :

I need some tool that can generate several kinds of graphs as JPG files. It may be used on a server-side context, on a web page. So, from my web script, I may want to use this tool (generate the JPG graph and then generate the PDF and then release it to the web browser).

Of course, it may be also used on a batch context, when I want to generate a bunch of PDF files. But since I can do it for a single one as above, of course I can do the same for a lot of them.

Because of this, I think that some sort of command line tool would be good. Or even some product with the same interfaces as QuickPDF, that is, ActiveX or DLL's.

Do you know some product as affordable as QuickPDF ?

Thanks in advance for your support !

BTW, the language I work with is XBase++, a 32 bits Clipper successor, capable of calling DLL's and ActiveX objects.

Thanks again !
chicks View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 06 at 12:45PM
http://www.rmchart.com/
jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 06 at 8:27AM
Hello Chicks

As usual, your answers are very useful.

I'm studying the product.

Also, I'll have some work to adapt it to XBase++, which is the language I work with.

Thank you so much !
chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 06 at 11:50AM
BTW, you may want to consider generating the graphs directly as PDF, which is a scalable vector format, instead of jpg/png. The reason is that the graphs, and particularly any text on them, will scale very well, and will remain highly readable when scaled. Raster formats don't scale at all well, and text will be jagged and difficult to read when scaled.

iSEDQuickPDF has a number of functions for line, rectangle and arc drawing, so building your own graphing engine wouldn't be terribly difficult.

There are a couple of tools available that create PDF graphs, which you can capture and include in your PDFs. See Jan's EasyPDF, EasyReports and EasyGrapher freeware here:

http://jansfreeware.com/jftools.htm

Another sophisticated commercial tool is here:

http://www.fytek.com/products.php?pg=pdfcharts

Edited by chicks
jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 06 at 12:09PM
OK. But the toold you mentioned (RmChart) is also nice because I also want to generate graphs for Web applications. There, jpg is a must.

So, I could use RmChart not only for PDFs but also for Web.

How bad is RmChart with PDFs ? Too bad ? On the other hand, do you know if the other suggested tools could also be used for Web Applications ? When I say Web Applications, I'm talking about a script that generates a dynamic content html page (with its graphs as JPG IMG tags)...
chicks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 06 at 12:57PM
Yes, if you want to use the output for both PDF and HTML, then you will probably want png (better in many respects than jpg).

All I can say is try it, and see if it works for you in the PDFs.
jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 06 at 6:28PM
Another product I've seen and that looks nice is Chart Director :

http://www.advsofteng.com/index.html

Anyone else uses it ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic