Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Font problems with LoadFromCanvasDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Havner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Font problems with LoadFromCanvasDC
    Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 3:45PM
I am using QuickPdf to convert a series of GDI+ commands to a PDF, via the LoadFromCanvasDC function.
This mostly works well, but if I use characters with uncommon fonts e.g. Webdings, they just doesnt show up. 

The strange thing about this is that if I use LoadFromCanvasDC with the 0 option (0 = Process the drawing commands as vector graphics, fonts are not embedded) then the characters actually show up, but when I use any of the other options, the symbols are invisible. it's still possible to select them (if you can guess where they are om the page) and if I Copy-Paste them in a texteditor, the ansi character representation comes out.

Of course I can also use the -1 option to get everything i n a single image, but as I will need to be able to serch text and also to be able to view the resulting pdf on multiple platforms, I really need to embed the fonts (or subsets there of) in my PDF.

Any suggestions for a working solution will be appriciated.
Johan Havner View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Havner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 14 at 7:22AM
Update: the symbol I was after was a small i encircled. As I searched fo a solution, I found that this character occurs (with small variations) in several places in unicode. 

What finally worked, was switching from writing the letter i in 'Webdings' font to write U+24d8 in 'Arial Unicode MS' instead. The effect is the same: A subset of the font is embedded in the document. But this approach works and shows the glyph i want*, even when viewed on different platforms, so hurray for that!

The real question remains: Why did it not work to embed Webdings, when Arial Unicode MS worked exactly as it should?

*To be clear, an 'i' printed in Webdings does not look exactly the same as 'U+24d8' in Arial Unicode MS, but it works just as well for me, since I was only after an encircled small letter i
AndrewC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndrewC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 10:44AM
Johan,

WebDings and other Symbol fonts are using a different encoding table which it not currently supported by the EMF import functions such as LoadFromCanvasDC. This is on our todo list for an upcoming version.

Andrew.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic