Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can I save a pdf with completed form fields?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I save a pdf with completed form fields?
    Posted: 11 Sep 14 at 10:20AM
Hi all,

I'm new to quickpdf, but have been happily using it to fill in form fields inside a pdf. It's not my pdf, it is one that we are required to submit and I'm filling the form with data from my database. My application then invokes SaveToFile() and the completed form is saved.

However, if my users need to add some additionial information to the form, they open it, amend the form, but when they try to save it, get this message:

"Data typed into this form will not be saved. Adobe reader can only save a blank copy of this form."

Obviously quickpdf does save the completed pdf so presumably the restriction is in Adobe Reader. Is there a document attribute that I can switch off to allow reader to save the form and can quickpdf manipulate the attribute if it exists?

thanks.
AndyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 14 at 10:48AM
If you have Acrobat Pro you can open the original PDF and then do this:

File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Adding Text In Documents

This will then allow users of the newly created copy to save filled versions of the document.

I'm not sure if QPL can access this setting or whether you will need it to be set in Acrobat Pro.

Hope this helps anyway.

Edited by AndyD - 11 Sep 14 at 10:50AM
AndrewC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndrewC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 14 at 3:11PM
beau,

You can try calling the following two functions before you start updating the data.

QP.RemoveUsageRights();
            QP.RemoveXFAEntries(1);

It will not work on all forms but in this case I suspect it will

Andrew.

beau View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 14 at 2:45AM
Thanks Andy and Andrew for your replies.

Andrew, I tried your suggestion, but that didn't make any difference.

However, I now see that the "problem" is my lack of understanding of the signing process, i.e. my users CAN save a copy of the document once they have added a signature.

This locks the document at that point, but that is the form owner's process for preserving the integrity of the data in the form so we'll live with that. Worst case, my user's can start afresh by downloading another form pre-filled from my database and then amend as required.

cheers...

...b
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic