Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acrobat Reduce File Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acrobat Reduce File Size
    Posted: 15 Jul 14 at 10:25PM
In Acrobat I can select the menu option Document->Reduce File Size and shrink a document I have from 46K to 16K.  I've tried using CompressContent and CompressPage but the document remains the same size.  The CompressContent and CompressPage functions return success (1) indicating success.  Is there another function for reducing file size that I'm missing?

Thanks,

BobW
Wheeley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheeley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 14 at 12:05AM
This is a known limitation with the library. Many PDFs compress the stream within the PDF reducing the file size. Do a forum search and you will see this has been brought up numerous times.

For fun, export data from Excel to a PDF. Notice the file size. Next load the file into QuickPDF and then save the newly loaded file. You will notice the file's size is a lot larger than the original.

Wheeley
AndrewC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 14 at 10:04AM
Bobw,

Document->Reduce File Size is a complex function that loads each image and re-compresses it into the smallest size possible by trying various algorithms such as JBIG2 and JPEG2000.  These are complex algorithms to implement.

CompressContent and CompressPage basically turn on compression for the object streams to help reduce filesize.  These days most PDF's have compression turned on by default.

Excel generates strange and overly complex PDF content streams.

Andrew.

Andrew.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic