Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Determining no of colour plates on a page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Determining no of colour plates on a page
    Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 1:08AM
Is there any way to determine the no of plates (and which ones) that would be generated on output of (a single page) document to a separating RIP ?

Further, is there a description of the data returned by GetPageColorSpace, for instance
Resource,\"Cs8\",Separation,\"Black\",DeviceCMYK,-1,-1,-1,-1
Resource,\"Cs9\",Separation,\"All\",DeviceCMYK,-1,-1,-1,-1
XObject,\"Im1\",Image,,DeviceCMYK,-1,-1,-1,-1
what is the significance of the -1's ?
TIA
Peter

Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 7:04AM
Hi Peter!

This is the description from the online reference (i think you know it):
"Returns a CSV string containing the list of color spaces defined in the resource tree of the selected page."
It's a new (prelimary) functionality with 8.14 - we'll see how it will
be enhanced in the future.
Please keep in mind:
Without ColorSpace-tag it's possible to have a coloured pdf.
With a ColorSpace-tag it's possible to have only b/w-pages.
It depends on the created structure and the used options from
the pdf-creator how the csv-string will look like ;-)

Cheers, Ingo
edvoigt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edvoigt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 12 at 1:49PM
Hi,

GetPageColorSpace is a first step on the way to solve your problem. I have the same interests (PDFs usable for plateproduction) too. GetPageColorSpace (and more) was suggested by me.

The last four values are CMYKs. -1 is for unknown value.

Defining a separationcolor in PDF it is possible to give an advice how for example pantone-colors should be replaced by CMYK. This is a good way to have them approximated on screen (CMYK-->RGB by renderer).

Problems:
  1. Are all defined separationcolors really in use or only defined?
  2. There is no need in PDF to define pur CMYK-colors as separationcolors.
  3. In a PDF I did see definitions of separationcolors (in pur CMYK) with different names, but the same colorvalue. So I mis the possibility to unite them to one color, because I want them on one plate.
  4. It should be possible too, to delete definitions of unused separationcolors.

The main-problem is to ask for all used colors.

I am working over a few years on a rather complex program which makes from a short definition of a product (pages, format, kind of binding, amount, content-PDF, machines, papers,...) a jobdefinition (XML+JDF) including PDFs for ripping. In the moment, my produced PDFs are only used as preview. But it shall change. In the future they will be used or ripping in production. So I have to struggle with colors.

My imagination is to have a function, which makes a list of colors, where for every color the following  properties are available:

name of color: string; // external Name for spotcolors, in other cases "RGB" or "CMYK"
name of colorspace: string; // empty or Gray, CMYK,...
IsSeparation,          // defined as
IsCMYK,
IsRGB,
IsLinecolor,           // used for
IsFillingcolor,
IsTextcolor: boolean;
smallestlinewidth: double; // very small lines may be unprintable
charcounter: integer;  // number of chars drawn with this color

So with IsRGB it would be clear, this PDF is not for professional printing. So we would get a half preflightcheck.

GetPageColorSpace is only a first step. It would interesting to know, how much users of QP would like this things.

Cheers,
Werner
MarcoAbbate View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoAbbate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 15 at 3:34PM
Hello,
I'm struggling with PDF for Pre-Press as well.
The CMYK issues are really important for my job.
Any suggestion and improvement will be appreciated...
Marco.

RWann View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 15 at 12:41PM
I'd like a fonction like you described edvoigt Smile
this seems to have not yet been developed... and we need to check all spot color in the PDF upload in our software for printproviders

Best regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic