Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extract text from PDF in Database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extract text from PDF in Database
    Posted: 21 Nov 17 at 7:51AM
I have stored the contents of PDF files in a varbinary(max) column in an MS SQL Database.
Is there a function in QuickPDF that allows me to extract text from the string data I return from an SQL Query on this column while it is memory?  ie. directly operate on the string data rather than a PDF file?

ie. With the extracted contents of the data from the database I want to avoid having to:
1) Save it as a PDF file.
2) Open the file using say the DAOpenFile function.
3) Extract the text using say DAExtractPageText function.
4) Close the file and then delete it.

I have over 14,000 PDF files to check so you can see having to save, open and delete a PDF file for each record in the database will take a lot of time.

Chris
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 17 at 9:59PM
Hi Chris,

in any case you need a LoadFromString to build the internal pdf-structure.
Then you can work on it with one of the extract-functionalities (no chance to avoid it).
As an option (if you've done some changes) with a SaveToString and a rewrite into your database you can save your changes without creating a new pdf.

Cheers,
Ingo

chrisreed View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 17 at 5:12AM
Thanks Ingo, but I could not find the LoadFromString Method.  I have only the following....
LoadFromCanvasDC, LoadFromFile, LoadFromVariant, LoadState

I am running version 9.16 so perhaps this is a method in a newer version?

Chris
mLipok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mLipok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 10:51AM
If you are using ActiveX then you should use
LoadFromVariant
SaveToVariant

Just like I do in many project's when I reading / saving PDF content to/from MS SQL Databases.

Here you can find description how to test my examples:
http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2932&PID=12600&title=drawcapturedpagematrix-matrix-howto#12600
Ingo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 9:52PM
http://www.debenu.com/docs/pdf_library_reference/LoadFromString.php

Cheers,
Ingo

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic