Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > I need help - I can help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extract non-formatted Tabular Text

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extract non-formatted Tabular Text
    Posted: 21 Jan 15 at 10:16AM
Can't find any site to upload the example PDF that I'm trying to process without our Firewall blocking it (tried docdroid, scribd, dropbox) so the best I can do is upload an image.

The text "looks" like it is separated by TABS, but there is no formatting.  When I try to use the DAExtractPageText and DAExtractBlockText functions, instead of the <Field Name>: <Field Value> aligning with each, they are all over the place.

I also tried all the differenet options in DASetTextExtractionOptions to no avail.

How can I extract this unformatted text so the <Field Name>: <Field Value> align with each other
eg.  Surname: TEST etc.

Thanks Chris.
AndrewC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 15 at 10:18AM
Chris,

PDF's file do not have TAB characters, words, sentences or paragraphs.  Text is drawn at a specific x and y location.  Extraction attempts to collect all the drawn text  but is not always perfect.

GetPageText of DAExtractPageText using option 7 will be your best chance.

Andrew.
chrisreed View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 7:10AM
Hi Andrew,
Sorry for the lateness in my reply, but I never received an e-mail that you had posted a reply Unhappy

Believe me I tried all the Extraction Options (from 1 to 11) and none of them were any good.  So instead of having the fields/values go across the page I just had them going down the page as follows:

<Field Name> <Field Value>
Surname:        Tester
Firstname:       Kenneth
DOB:               29 Mar 1928
Exam Date:     30 Jan 2015 07:46
Site ID:            RPH    etc....

and used the Extraction Option (5) - Sort text blocks based on top left position.

This worked a lot better, in that this option returned most of the <Field Names> first and then the <Field Values> next, but some still got mixed up so that I couldn't associate all the correct <Field Name> with the matching <Field Value>.
chrisreed View Drop Down
Team Player
Team Player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 15 at 10:17AM
Sorry Andrew I was too quick with my reply.

Yes if I use Option 7 it matches very well what is on the PDF file - thanks for your help.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic