Do you own a Debenu Quick PDF Library version 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or iSEDQuickPDF license? Upgrade to Debenu Quick PDF Library 14 today!

Debenu Quick PDF Library - PDF SDK Community Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Users of the Library > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternatives for replacing QuickPDF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternatives for replacing QuickPDF
    Posted: 27 Nov 07 at 11:17AM
Hello !

I've had serious issues of damaged PDFs generated here on my installation (see my other postings).

I really cant figure out what's going on. When I generate say 1000 PDFs, some of them will have field contents replaced by other fields contents.

This is totally random.

I'm thinking about replacing QuickPDF.

Hate to do that cause I've invested a lot on top of it (effort , time, infra-structure etc) and I dont wanna throw it all away.

But, since I cant solve the damaged PDFs problem, I see no other choice but to replace it.

What are the alternatives ?

My requirements for another library :

- The same function set, mostly when regarded to form fields, images and barcodes.

- It needs to be something that I can embed into my EXE and that I can run it anywhere, that is, on several machines and on my server too.

- Yes, I could pay more. What's the value of something cheap that I can trust ? That is, I can no more trust on the documents generated from my platform cause the PDFs are corrupted (see my other postings).

- Needs to have ActiveX interface (or DLL mode) just like QuickPDF.

What would you pick out there ? PDFlib ? Where have you gone to ?

chicks View Drop Down
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert
Debenu Quick PDF Library Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 07 at 5:41PM
Well, QuickPDF certainly has limitations, but I've never experienced a problem with filling/flattening form fields with it, if you remember that the field numbers shift as you flatten.

However, the "standard" PDF library I generally use is iText, which is available in .NET and Java versions. It's considerably more capable than QuickPDF, and is being actively maintained. It's also open source.

If you are primarily filling and flattening fields, you can use pdftk, if you are willing to transform your XML datasource into Adobe's standard XFDF format. I've written an "extended" version of pdftk that allows stamping images and barcodes into the fields - see pdftk_chicks. You'll also find a DLL wrapper for the iText fill/flatten example, but it's currently limited to FDF.

For industrial-strength forms processing, see
Appligent's tools.

Edited by chicks - 28 Nov 07 at 5:58PM
jabaltie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabaltie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 07 at 5:30AM
Originally posted by chicks chicks wrote:

Well, QuickPDF certainly has limitations, but I've never experienced a problem with filling/flattening form fields with it, if you remember that the field numbers shift as you flatten.

I'm very sad cause the whole project is sinking JUST BECAUSE this flattening problem.... Can a single function shut it all down ?

We had to suspend the PDF generation because of the corrupted PDFs generated. It is not reliable.

No matters if I generate 8.000 PDFs and 10 of them are corrupted. CANT have a single one corrupted.

Anyway....

Ah, what's the best approach to replace form field contents and flatten them all ?

How is your loop ?

Do you do a single loop where you replace fields from bottom/up and flatten them right away or do you do 2 separate loops, one for field replacement and the other for flattening ?

I have tried several different logics and none of them solve the problem....

However, the "standard" PDF library I generally use is iText, which is available in .NET and Java versions. It's considerably more capable than QuickPDF, and is being actively maintained. It's also open source.

It needs to be ActiveX compatible (or DLL) cause I'll use it with XBase++.

If you are primarily filling and flattening fields, you can use pdftk, if you are willing to transform your XML datasource into Adobe's standard XFDF format. I've written an "extended" version of pdftk that allows stamping images and barcodes into the fields - see pdftk_chicks. You'll also find a DLL wrapper for the iText fill/flatten example, but it's currently limited to FDF.

I could do that. I'm very skilled with XML handling and strings processing (regular expressions etc).

For industrial-strength forms processing, see
Appligent's tools.

Once more, thank you so much Chicks !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic